Chapter 1: Jack

Jack

I woke up the same as I have any other day. It was a crisp fall day, and the sun rushed into my room. I put on my glasses, which were barely held together by duct tape, and glue. Should probably get someone to get me another pair on the next supply run. I put my shirt on, and then my worn blue jeans. I then put on my belt and headed downstairs. I saw Mrs. Corbin making breakfast and serving her husband Mr. Corbin. Morning Jack. How'd you sleep last night? I rubbed my eyes and sat down. Good Mr. Corbin. I lied. I havent been sleeping good for a long time. Not since what happened to him. I was then handed a plate with some fresh fruit, and eggs on it. Thank you, Mrs. Corbin. No problem Jack. Mrs. Corbin sat down with her husband and I. Where are the others? I ask. Mrs. Corbin finishes a bite of a banana off, then pauses. I think they went to check on the traps. Said something about seeing rabbit trailing around it.

Suddenly, I hear Veronica, who was on guard duty yell Open the gate! I looked out the window, and coming into the walls were Thomas, and Virginia. Those two are damn near inseparable. I quip. Reminds me of the good times between you and- I quickly turn around to face her. Please dont remind me. It hurts to remember. Jack, I get that what happened was a lot on you, but you cant just forget. Well, Im sure gonna try. I finish up my breakfast and go to the gate to talk to the pair. Hey, guys, I say as I approach. How are you doing on this fine day? Virginia asked. Same as always, I reply. Hey, we were thinking of going down to the river to do some fishing in a bit. Im sick of eating nothing but veggies and eggs all the time. Thomas said.

That would be great, Virginia exclaims while smiling. Afterall, its been a while since you have been outside the walls. I thought about it. Its been six months since the event that truly changed my life has happened. An event that topped losing the power for good all those years ago. This loss was worse. I told the two that I was going to meet up with them after I told the Corbins that I was going, and grab my rifle. As I walk into the house I head back into the kitchen and see the couple still sitting at the table. I am going outside the walls to fish with Thomas and Virginia. I declare. Mrs. Corbin looks up from her book. Thats wonderful news. Im truly glad you are going. Im also glad you are doing better. She says while giving me a hug. Im proud of you Jack. Just don't forget your rifle. Oh, I wont forget my rifle. Not ever again. I go back into my room and pick up the Ruger 10/22 from its resting place in the corner of the room. I then open up my drawer and fetch two banana clips, and shove one into the rifle, and one into my back pocket. I then grab my fishing rod and go back to the gate.

I looked around as I made it to the gate. I see the chicken coops, the gardens, the newly grown orchard, and the watchtower beside the giant sheet metal gate. I can still remember this place back at the beginning. It wasnt more than a group of houses with scared people in them. Now, it is so much more. As I approach the gate, Thomas and Virginia are waiting, with their rods, and pistols on their hips in holsters. Id use a pistol, but I can barely aim the damn things. We swing the large gate open and close it behind us. We swerve around the now overgrown cars and made our way to the road. We walk about a mile down the road and make it to a small river. I sure hope we get something. Thomas groans. Im sure we will. I catch myself saying. After getting to the river, we slide down the bank to the rocky beach of the river. As we get everything set up, I get my rod and prepare to cast. All three of us cast at about the same time. Thomas immediately feels a tug on his fishing rod. As he pulls the catch from the water, he notices that he caught a worn leather wallet. Damn, thought it was a fish. He grabbed the wallet off the hook and opened it up. Apparently this wallet belonged to a man by the name of David Howard. And it seems that he carried a lot of money on him due to all the pieces of cash in this thing. I looked at the wallet. It was mangled and practically held together by just a few seams of leather. Well might as well throw it back, Thomas said winding his arm back. Wait! I hear myself blurt out. If you dont want it ill take it. Thomas shrugged, then handed me the soiled, and worn piece of leather.

We fished for a few hours and caught enough fish to have a fish fry. We slung the fish into a cooler, and headed back up to the road. When we got to the road, there was a man waiting for us. He wore what looked like a blue long-sleeved shirt, with a tactical vest, and he had a big cowboy hat on, and a revolver on a big holster off his belt. Howdy fellas. He says to us. We dont want any trouble, I say with my rifle presented. Nor do I. Just looking for my team. We were riding up on down to Charleston to trade. Well your far from the trading routes. Thomas pointed out. Well, we were on a raft going down the river. The man said. Well, you can get on your way, I say. Well, now thats no way to treat people in need. The man smiles.

Take cover! A voice screams. The three of us quickly duck out of the way, as the cowboy hat man pulls his pistol, and starts firing. But he wasnt firing at us. A man quickly came out from the trees with an assault rifle. Gunfire entrails for about ten seconds, then everything goes quiet. I slowly come up from my cover, with my gun raised. Its okay. Hes dead. The man said taking the cowboy hat off the guys head. There was a bullet hole in the brim of the hat now. Sorry, you had to see that kids. I've been tracking that guy and his gang for some time. Who are you? Virginia asked. My names Sammy. I am working for the Power Restoration Movement. What's that? Virginia questioned.

Before Sammy could answer, he was quickly tackled and had a gun to his head. What have you done to these kids?! The man that tackled him screamed. Dad hes not a bad guy! Virginia yelled. Suddenly, Mrs. Corbin rushed up with an AR-15 in tow. Behind her was Mr. Corbin with an assult rifle as well. Jack! Are you okay? Mrs. Corbin urgently asked. Im fine Mrs. Corbin. There was a man that was going to hurt us, but this man over here saved us. I explain. Suddenly, we hear gunfire in the distance. Thats coming from the community! Mr. Corbin points out. We gotta get back there! Thomas yells taking out his gun. Everyone gets their stuff together and starts to get back to camp as quickly as possible. As we get closer, Mrs. Corbin pulls us, kids, aside. Now you three can handle yourself. I know that. But we dont know anything about this guy, so Im tasking you with keeping an eye on him and staying clear of the gunfire. Yes, maam. We all say in unison. As the adults run off to fight, I look back at Thomas and Virginia. Im gonna climb that tree, to snipe at them. Before they can say anything, I am up the tree, and have my rifle cocked. I look down the scope in time to see about ten men shooting at the guards on the wall and throwing Molotov cocktails over the wall. I take a deep breath, then let half out. I hate the fact that I have to fire another round, after what happened, but I cant just let my friends die like this. I let my finger tackle the trigger. Immediately, the head of one of the men is sprayed with red. I ease the gun toward the left. Another one hits the ground. I then see the Corbins sneaking through the woods trying to get close to the guys. I hit another one. I cock my rifle back again, but before I can scope out another head, the bad guys notice their men are being shot from behind, and turn around. Suddenly, a barrage of bullets sends splinters of the tree flying all around me. I fall out of the tree, and land in a bush. I hear more gunfire, and screaming I wake up, with Thomas and Virginia pulling me up from the brush. What happened? I asked dazedly. You blacked out. I get up and dont hear any more gunfire. Did we win? I asked. We havent checked, Virginia said.

We all walk up to the gate. It lay charred and smashed. Bodies litter the area right outside the compound. I then realize I hear crying from the woods. I go over to see Mrs. Corbin holding the lifeless body of Mr. Corbin. Blood leaking from his neck. They turned around and fired. She sobbed. What have I done?