Alone (1)

"Carlisle," Alice smiled at her adoptive father as she danced into his office. "I've seen something."

"What is it?" Carlisle looked up from the book he was reading and his eyes settled quickly on the smaller vampire.

"I saw us in Oregon," Alice said with a bright smile. "Tillamook."

"When?" Carlisle asked. It was nearing time for them to move on from rural Alaska. Though they didn't have many neighbors to become suspicious of them, Carlisle wouldn't chance endangering his family. Spending too much time with Tanya and her family was bound to draw attention soon rather than later, and it wasn't something they could risk.

"Soon," Alice answered simply. "I saw us enjoying Christmas there."

Carlisle nodded. It was September now. Thoughts flew through his mind quickly and he came to a decision in mere moments. "We will prepare to leave now. Tanya will understand."

Alice smiled. Carlisle knew that smile and knew that she had some knowledge of the future she wasn't sharing. The vampire doctor couldn't help but smile at the girl before closing his book and standing in one fluid movement, his mind already turning to what he should take with him to the next residence they would inhabit. Alice shook some hair from her face. "I'll tell the others."

"Thank you, Alice," Carlise said. He watched her leave before stepping over to the bookshelves and looking over the books. He had multiple copies of most of them, but there were a few he wanted to take with him.

"Take the Medical and Health Encyclopedia set," Edward said from the doorway. "I made a promise to Alice, but I also know those will come in handy."

Carlisle furrowed his brow. He had a copy of the set in Tillamook already. Nevertheless, the old vampire trusted his family more than anything. His children, with their special gifts, knew more than he did at times. It was as if they were the older, wiser ones rather than he. Carlisle knew Alice's visions weren't always correct, but he trusted that she was looking out for the family and kept their best interest at heart as she looked through the possible versions of their future. He nodded. "Thank you."

"Edward," Bella said. She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Renesmee was looking for you. She wanted you to take her hunting."

Edward nodded and pressed a kiss to his wife's head before leaving to find his daughter. It was best the family took turns hunting before they left. It would allow them to be free from distraction when they arrived in Tillamook. Though the house there was out of the way, as was usual for the vampire family, it was never possible to be too cautious.

"You know they only want what's best for you," Bella told Carlisle. She could see in his expression that he was trying to work out everything in his mind. They both knew it would be near impossible to do until the time came for Alice's visions to be fulfilled.

Carlisle smiled softly as he stacked the books on his desk. "Sometimes I wonder if they aren't older than I."

"Carlisle, you've done so much for this family," Bella said. She handed him a book from the shelf. "Alice wants you to be happy. She'll probably be upset that I'm telling you, but she's been keeping an eye on your future. She thinks going to Oregon will be good for you."

"Thank you, Bella," Carlisle told her earnestly. "You should gather the things you want to take with you. Once everyone has fed, we will leave."

Bella nodded at her father-in-law with a soft smile. She hoped Tillamook would be good for him. Losing Esme had been hard for everyone, but she couldn't imagine how hard it had been on the patriarch of the family. Esme has been his mate, been the one at his side unconditionally for so very long. They had loved one another before even realizing it, and it seemed it was only fate that they had been brought together. She couldn't imagine losing Edward, knowing she'd never see him again. She'd felt that pain on some small level before, and knew it would only be increased in this second life she'd been given. It was an impossible thought when they had forever ahead of them.

Carlisle allowed his family to hunt before he did, and spent his time packing what they had all wanted to take with them. Everyone would drive separately ,and it created more than enough space to carry their things with them. Only when his children had finished their hunting did Carlisle go on his own. He preferred it that way. It gave him time to think freely and to mourn quietly the loss of his wife without fear of the others knowing too much. He didn't want them to worry that he was falling into a depression, no matter how real and true that possibility was and how likely Alice already knew it.

When Carlisle returned from hunting, Bella and Edward had already left with Jacob and Renesmee. Alice flitted over and hugged the man before climbing into her car with Jasper. Rosalie stood up from leaning against the hood of her car and walked over to him. "Will you be okay? I know you don't like to be near Forks right now."

"I am fine, Rosalie," Carlisle answered. "You shouldn't worry about me."

Rosalie offered a sad smile. "We'll see you there."

The vampire got into her car and drove off after her husband. Carlisle was left alone. He turned and looked at the large home, taking in the sight of it and unsure when they would be back. He got into the Mercedes and sped away after his children.