A Second Chance

A Second Chance

                   Property

                          Of

            Shaylynn Carter

Dear Diary,

                        When I was six years old my parents died in a car crash, and ever since then I’ve bounced from one foster home to another. The longest I‘ve ever remained in one foster home is three months. And… “Shay, the taxi’s here are you ready?” Sarah called from downstairs. “Yeah, just let me grab my bags.”

     I sighed in exasperation as I took the bookmark I’d gotten for Christmas last year and placed it between the pages of my diary. I stared at it for a moment before closing it. Today I was moving to another foster home for the sixth time this year. The feeling of rejection and loneliness washed over me. It seemed as if I would never find a permanent home.

    I felt like a prisoner to the inevitable turmoil in my life. After grabbing my bag I took one last look at the bedroom that was once mine. Agony twisted my heart as I remembered all the happy times I’d shared with this family. My lips began quivering as tears of anguish I’d been holding back for so long now stung my eyes. “It’s for the best.”

    I whispered closing them as I tried to suppress my agony. “Shay, the taxi isn’t going to wait forever!” She yelled in irritation. “I’m coming!” I grumbled my heart breaking. “Well, hurry up!” She snapped rolling her eyes “The taxi isn’t going to wait forever!” she huffed, slowly I opened my eyes and took a shaky breath to calm myself; quietly I descended the stairs to the front door.

    There was no remorse nor was there a goodbye from the couple, and even though I hadn’t expected there to be it still hurt. Dejection consumed me as I walked down the driveway, toward the taxi. As I approached I noticed the trunk was already open for me, sighing I lifted it and shoved my bag inside. I stared at it as I mused over how next family would react when they saw me.

     I wondered if they would accept me for who I was or if they would ship me off to another foster home. Slowly shaking my head in dismay I closed the latch and begrudgingly climbed into the back seat. “Hey, you okay kiddo?” The driver asked looking at me with concern. “Yeah, I’m okay.” I whispered trying to keep my voice even.

     The driver nodded and turned back in his seat to start the car. I twisted around to watch the house fade into the distance, silent tears running down my face. When it disappeared over the horizon I slumped into my seat and closed my eyes as I tried to imagine what my new foster family would be like. I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I knew I was gently being shook awake.

     Slowly regaining consciousness I could hear a cluster of voices. At first I couldn’t make out their jumbling words, but as I became more aware of my surroundings I realized one of them was speaking to me. “Shay, Shay darling, it’s time to wake up.” Their loving tone sent a fleeting glimmer of hope through the depths of my heart.

     Forcefully I wrenched back my heavy lids, only to snap them shut again for the bright light shone in my eyes. Only when my eyes had fully adjusted was I able to open them. And it was then I could see a woman standing outside of the taxi. Her gentle smile made the once fleeting hope in my heart grow stronger. “Hello Shay, my name is Caroline do you want some help with your bag?

     You seem exhausted.” She murmured her face etched with concern. I gazed at her for a moment as I tried to break through the drowsy haze that clouded my mind. But the harder I tried the more exhausted I became, I finally answered with a nod. “Alright then, Tom do you mind grabbing her bag? I’m going to take her inside!”  She called over her shoulder. “Sure no problem!”