INSANE

Heads up!
'You' are Sans.

***

Gaster had never been a good father, you'd think.

It was common that he'd leave you and Papyrus with no warning whatsoever, only to return weeks later, claiming that it had been an emergency, that it had been important.

Important? So Papyrus and you weren't important?

With the way Gaster spoke and acted, you honestly wouldn't have been surprised if he actually thought that. Gaster always spent a significantly larger number of days more working than he ever did with the two of your. He would hole himself up in his sacred lab, scribbling notes and mumbling gibberish about his precious experiments, conveniently forgetting about his two sons at home alone.

Gaster was a bad father, and you hated it.

You hated it, not him. You couldn't bring yourself to hate Gaster whenever he actually came home. He would sweep through the doors, apologetic and occasionally sheepish smile already on his face. You would always feel the same cold bitterness in your soul. If Papyrus ever felt the same, he never expressed it, or even showed any hints of hurt in his happy smile.

Papyrus would always drop whatever he had been doing (literally. Once he dropped a brick onto your foot-You were still salty about that) and bolt to the door, joyfully leaping into his father's open arms. Gaster would then apologise for leaving for that period of time, usually giving a flimsy excuse. (flimsy to you, sincere to Gaster, acceptable to Papyrus.) Papyrus would then wave away all his apologies, instead focusing on the oh so important fact that Gaster was back. During these periods of time, you would often lurk in the background, sending death glares towards your 'father'.

He wasn't a good father, you would repeat firmly to yourself, forcing yourself to recall how you and your baby brother has struggled while he had been away. You would replay every bad memory as some sort of masochistic reminder whenever Gaster tried talking to you, whenever he gave you a sad but patient smile.

And yet, after a day or two, three being the record, you would find yourself giving in. You would unknowingly smile and chuckle at Gaster's jokes and puns, (yes, Gaster loved jokes, puns especially. Papyrus supplied plenty of groans while you would try to hold back your laughter.) You would return his hugs, you would listen with wide sockets at Gaster's bedtime stories of the interesting experiments he conducted in his lab, you would... You would love Gaster back.

You would love your father back.

And your house would be full of merry laughter. Delicious smells would wander out of the kitchen, tempting you out of your bed only to see Gaster cooking a storm, more often than not with Papyrus hovering at the side observing intently. (Once he tried to teach Papyrus how to make spaghetti, since the little skeleton had seemed so enraptured with the pasta after he cooked it. Papyrus had... Burnt down the kitchen, but Gaster had just waved it off, assuring the small skeleton that his skills would improve with time and practice.)

All in all, everything would be good. Everyone would be happy. Gaster would be there to provide a responsible father figure for Papyrus.

This time Gaster seemed to be staying particularly long. He usually stayed for around two weeks, three if you were lucky, before disappearing as abruptly as he had came. You would then spiral down the usual cycle: You would be shocked, hurt, disappointed. You would lock yourself in your room, wondering why he left. Were you not good enough? Did you behave poorly? What did you do that caused your own father to leave yet again?