aftermath

He sat up. The burning pain that sat in his chest had just.... disappeared. Instantly. He had the breath knocked out of him, and rolled over onto his hands and knees in an attempt to recover. Gasping, and coughing. It took him several moments to gather himself and regulate his breathing. He sat up onto just his knees. 

'Wait. Where am I? What the fuck?' 

Donovan looked around. The room was completely dark, yet, he could still see. Was it a room at all? It looked a bit more like a void. 

"Welcome back to the land of the living," a man said. "or, well, so to speak."

He struggled to stand, but managed. 

"Wh-"

"Save your breath, kiddo. Let's cut to the chase." 

He blinked, and when he opened his eyes, a man in a suit stood before him. Donovan stumbled backwards. He had yet to collect his wits.

"Where am I? I was just. I was just at a bank, and - oh fuck."

"Oh fuck is right, Don." The man said back to him. 

"I'm assuming that means you remember what happened? Let me catch you up. I'm Lucifer, and you're dead. Well, you're Donovan, renowned lawyer, but, now you are dead."

"What?"

"Good job, by the way! Really went out with a bang." Lucifer paused. "No pun intended. You created quite a stir, and that's why you're here now, with me."

He placed his hands on his head, and closed his eyes as tight as he could. He felt disoriented, sick. This wasn't right, it's not possible. How could he be dead? They thought it out perfectly, or so they thought. How did it all go so wrong? He took a deep breath.

"Prove it. Show me." It was less of a request than him demanding it.

Lucifer shrugged.