Chapter Six: Jealousy

We finally came home after about half an hour and I immediately went to Brittany who was in the kitchen and hugged her. She chuckled. "I missed you too,"
       I let her go and saw that she had look Dad.  "What's wrong? You seem like you're about to kill someone,"
     She gave him a confused expression. "If Coach Baker wasn't there, I would've,"
      "What do you mean?"
      "It turns out my lovely ex-wife was letting her husband use our daughter as a punching bag. So if you would excuse me now. I will be pulling some favors to make sure neither of them will ever come near our daughter again,"
      As soon as my father said that, Brittany's arms went around me and tighten around me and tears finally came out. I felt my knees go weak and she came down with me, I don't know how long we sat there but she sat there comforting me. "Why didn't you tell us?"
    I wiped away a tear. "I didn't want to ruin your honeymoon,"
     She kissed the top of my head. "Oh sweetheart, you wouldn't have,"
     I didn't say anything else.
---
       It's been a month since Grant had been place in jail. "You know you don't have to be here. You experienced a tough month,"
      We were at the booster party and Layla is, of course, worried about me. "I'm fine. This is a distraction for me,"
     Layla looked at me for a moment and then looked away. "Okay,"
      I looked away from her and I saw the Bakers minus Liv and Spence. I looked at Jordan and smiled. He was looking very good in that suit. Layla nudged me and passed me a napkin. "Here,"
     I grabbed it. "What's this for?"
     "The drool,"
     I dropped the napkin on the table and laughed. "Funny,"
    I playfully shoulder bumped her as Jordan walked up to us. "Looking good ladies,"
      I felt my cheeks start to heat up so I looked down at my feet. "Where's Olivia and Spence?"
     "They'll be here soon,"
      Layla looked at me. "I got some boosters to stall before he comes here so if you excuse me,"
     I heard Layla walked away. "Hey, how everything?" He asked.
       I didn't say anything and I felt him place his thumb under my chin and lift my head up to look at him. "Talk to me,"
      I looked sternly into his eyes, concerned filled them. I just walked closer to him and wrapped my arms round his waist and placed my head on his shoulder. He didn't hesitate to squeeze me back as he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him. "There's nothing wrong Jordan besides you know the obvious with Grant,"
     His arms tighten around your waistline.  "I understand,"
     I heard somebody walking towards us. "Yo man,"
     It was Asher. I let go of him as he let go of me but kept my head on his shoulder and he left an arm around my lower back as he made out the bro shake with Asher. "Hey man,"
     Asher looked over at me and his eyes softened. "Hey, Chrissy. You doing okay?"
      I didn't say anything but simply nodded. I saw Mr. Adams walk up to Asher. He was staring at somebody. "Is that the boy that took you out of the game?"
       I turned my head already knowing who he was speaking about. I watched Olivia and Spencer walking down the stairs talking about something as Layla walked up to him and took him away probably to meet some of the parents. "Yeah, dad,"
       I pulled my self away from Jordan and looked at him.  "I better go and help Layla since I'm apart of making sure the boosters are doing okay,"
      I was walking towards Layla and Spencer when Dad "Chrissy, there you are,"
      "Hey, dad! I didn't know you'll be here?"
     He chuckled.  "I'm a booster, of course, I'm gonna be here. Where's this kid that everyone is talking about?"
"Spencer? Yeah, this way,"
      I started to walk where Spencer was which Layla left him alone to talk to the boosters.  "You've got to jam the line to prevent them from getting behind you," A booster said. "Am I right?"
    Spencer nodded. "Yes, sir. We'll be ready for them," He said.
      "I mean, with Asher Adams out, what you need to do is bring the new kid in on offense," A woman said.
      I walked up and smiled. "Excuse me, sorry for the interruption but Spencer James, this is my father Harry Hendricks. Dad, this is Spencer James,"
     Dad held out his hand for Spencer to shake. "Yes, I saw you on the field the other day. I didn't realize you're the player everyone was talking about,"
     Spencer nodded and shook his hand. "Well everyone was kind of busy that day,"
     Dad nodded. "Yeah.....I can't wait to see what you bring to the team,"
      "You won't be disappointed, sir,"
      "If you excuse me, I need to go find Layla," I said.
      They nodded and I walked away and I eventually found Layla refilling the punch bowl, I walked over to her and stand next to her.  "Need any help?"
     She looked at me like she was relieved to see me."Yes, can you go into the kitchen and grab some more crackers?"
     I smiled. "Of course,"
----
     I started to walk back to where the event was when I heard yelling, I quicken my past and when I got into the room and I saw a big crowd surrounding something. I placed the crackers on the table and pushed myself through the crowd and saw that it was. I wasn't surprised when I saw that it was Mr. Adams arguing with Coach. Mr. Adams was always the type of father that would get mad if Asher got taken out of the game, it was always the coach's or someone else's fault and not Asher. Even when we were young and that's where Asher's superior complex came from. "Are you now?"
      Coach didn't seem fazed. "Yeah, injuries. They're, uh, they're part of the game, you know?"
      Mr. Adams scoffed and then laughed. "Asher's the best receiver you got, and you let that south Crenshaw thug rough him up during practice?"
     That's when Coach got offended. "Whoa. Mind yourself now, Harold,"
       I see Asher making his way through the crowd but couldn't get to him until now.  "Just calling it like I see it. When they hired you, I had high hopes. Sure, your pro career was a bust. But, hey, that's the game. After two losing seasons and with another one on the way, guess you're just getting comfortable with losing,"
     Coach was trying to hold his temper down. "Uh - that's enough,"
      Asher finally got to his dad and put a hand on his shoulder. "Dad, I'm - it's all right. Coach, I-I'm sorry,"
      That's when Mr. Adams lost his temper.  "Why should you be sorry? He's the reason you got hurt! Him and his son!"
         I looked at Jordan who clearly looks like h was busted for doing something wrong. I felt a hand touch my shoulder, I turned my head and saw that it was Dad. "Let's go,"
       I shook my head. "I can't. I have to clean up after the event is over. If you want to go, go ahead,"
       "Are you going to be okay?"
       "Yeah, of course. I'll call you when Layla and I leave,"
       He nods and kissed my forehead and walked out and leaves. I looked over to see Layla looking completely mortified. Probably blaming herself over this. "What are you talking about?" Coach asked.
     That's what grabbed my attention again. "Talking about how Jordan, your son, was behind that contested permit, and now your Crenshaw boy is bringing his anger about the situation on our field, injuring my son!"
      My jaw dropped when Mr. Adams said that and a very pissed Coach looked at Jordan. Asher tried to get his father to stop talking. "Dad, will you-"
      Mr. Adams cut him off completely. "Hey. That's right! Jordan Baker's the one that gave Chatsworth the tip,"
       Spencer, who was the heart of this argument finally steps up. "Are you serious? You're the reason I can't go home at night?"
       Mr. Adams shook his son off him. "Face it, coach. That boy doesn't belong here, and neither do you,"
      Spencer walked close to Mr. Adams but I blocked him. "Call me boy one more time,"
     I looked at him and gently told him to chill. "Spencer, chill," I said then looking at Asher. "Asher get your father out of here,"
      Asher looked at his dad and told him something and then they left. I faced back at Spencer, but he was over talking to Coach about something. "I guess that ends the booster night. Thank you all for coming and I'm sorry about what just happened," Layla said.
       The boosters started to disperse and I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. I felt somebody touch my hand, I turned to go face whoever it was and it was Jordan. "Save it Jordan,"
     I started to walk away as he called after me. "Chris! Wait," He said.
     I saw out of the corner of my eye that he was starting to reach out to grab my hand but pulled back.  I stopped walking and fully turned around and looked at him.  "No, Jordan. This isn't like you at all. I don't know what's gotten into you but it's not you. I've already forgiven you for what you did the first time with getting him drunk but this? Attempting to get him kicked off and trying to get him kicked out of school? This isn't acceptable Jordan! Just leave me alone,"
       I walked into the bathroom and went to the mirror. I can't believe Jordan and I can't believe I actually believed he wouldn't do something to damage Spencer's chances again but clearly, I was wrong.  I don't know how long I was in the bathroom, but I heard the door open and saw Layla walked in.  "They're gone,"
     I looked at her for a moment and threw off my head. "What is wrong with them?"
     She walked over to me and gave me a side hug. "Jealousy is a mystery,"