Chapter One: Preparation

Hey Guys Author here and this is my first story on Wattpad hope you enjoy it, also the image is what kind of dog Barry is 

In a distant future, many countries have experienced fallout. Some from war, others from its effects. The only sectors that aren't total wastelands are former southwest America, Quebec Canada, and New York City. In Roswell, New Mexico their lives someone whose only wish is to rebuild.

Joseph Webson awoke to the warm wet feeling of a dog tongue on his face. "Barry", he groans sitting up. He looks over to his solar clock and sees that its 7:00 am. "Well Barry I guess it's time to get up", Joseph says sliding out of bed and into his slippers.

Joseph and Barry both get ready for their day. Joseph washes up, feeds Barry and gets dressed. Joseph looks outside and sees that it snowed overnight. "Okay so, sweater", he says. He sits at his plain kitchen table and pours a bowl of oatmeal. "Were running low Barry. We might have to go to Albuquerque tomorrow" Joseph quips. The apocalypse wasn't so bad if you have a companion.

Looking to the counter he sees the picture of his ex-wife and daughter. His wife left him on November 12, 2019, a few days before their city was invaded. He managed to escape but his daughter was visiting his wife and they were reported missing. He hasn't seen his family in a full year.

After going out of the house to scout the area for any signs of humanity he returns home to start preparing for his trip to the largest city in New Mexico, Albuquerque. He goes out with Barry to his old Chevy pickup to fill it with gasoline, he goes back to pack some clothes since he would be gone for a few days, and he also finds a few things to bring for Barry.

He lays in bed and has Barry curl up next to him. "Goodnight Barry" he says as they both fall asleep.