Prologue

It was quarter to midnight. The moon lay sleeping in the sky, the white light it portrays spraying across the rooftops of the city. I was sat on my bed, reading, when I began to hear the bell tower ring. It was weird for it to be so early. The bell tower is the only constant existence this city had, and the timings were always perfect. So why was it so early today?

I stood from my bed, walked across the room to my bay window, and opened it. A cold blast of wind greeted me, not that I was surprised, it was winter after all. My eyes scanned the city skyline. I located the bell tower and was shocked, there would normally be snow covering the roof tiling, and a light shining beneath it, but today there was neither of those. It was slightly worrying.

It was barely a minute later that I noticed the figure standing atop the tower, a thick ruby coloured cloak concealing their identity. I had never seen someone on the tower before. They seemed to be glowing, an almost thick smoke like atmosphere surrounded them.

At this moment they began to scan the city rooftops, searching for something or someone I suppose. That was until they turned to face my window. I didn't notice at first, but they seemed to be muttering something, and I could hear it even though they stood so far away.

"How can you see me?" the figure questioned, "You look to be a simple human."

I couldn't understand how I could clearly hear their voice, and it seemed to echo within my mind. How could I hear them? It was worrying, especially after their remark of being able to see them. I was positive others were looking too, so why would the figure ask that? I was confused.

But it was at this moment I met their eyes, and all I could remember was the whisper as blackness overtook my vision.

"You shouldn't be here," they stated, "go to sleep."

And I fainted.