Stolen Heart

The muffled sound of the baby's cry came blaring through the monitor sitting on the nightstand next to her. At first, she thought the soft whine would subside, so she let her soothe herself, but within a minute it became louder.

Cecilia's health was no longer a preoccupation. She had been born with excess fluids in her little lungs and had to stay in the hospital for a few days. It broke Blair's and Shannon's heart to go home without her. But It had already been almost two weeks since she'd been home, and her pipes were surely working at full force.

"Shannon?" She called him softly, as she turned onto her back.

He was laying on his side, facing her, with his hand tucked under his cheek. Blair watched him for a few seconds as his chest moved to his breathing. She was astonished at how he would not wake up to the baby's desperate call.

"Honey?" Blair tried again, this time rubbing on his bare arms gently, hoping her hand would be more successful than her voice.

Shannon grumbled as he stirred on his spot. Blair reached for the lamp on her nightstand, and switch on the light. The bright white light filled the room but Shannon barely opened his eyes, squinting at her he seemed to try to get her into focus.

"It's your turn," she said as she placed her palm on top of his.

Shannon frowned, grunting as he lay on his back.

"I'm sure she wants you," he grunted, "you got the food." He turned to the other side.

"No, I fed her one hour ago. She can't possibly be hungry. I think she needs a diaper change, Can you please go? She'll be hungry again in one hour, and I won't be able to escape it."

Shannon flung the covers to the side and sat on the edge of the bed, rubbing his hands on his face. Cecilia's cry at this point was desperate.

"This is great! You get the sweet, beautiful boob bonding, and I get... poop."

"Put her back in her crib as soon as you finish. She's been doing so well falling asleep on her own, I don't want to spoil her," Blair demanded, her heart bleeding at her own words. As much as she wanted to cuddle her little girl every second of the day, she knew this was the best thing to do.

Shannon conceded and wobbled away into Cecilia's nursery. Blair turned off the lamp, and shifted onto her side, facing her nightstand, fully intending to fall right back to sleep, when she heard Shannon's voice joining Cecilia's plea for attention through the speaker next to her.

"Hey, baby girl.. shhh, daddy's here," he said, and the cry slowly subsided. Blair figured he'd picked her up, and instead of closing her eyes, she decided to listen to what was happening in the nursery.

Cecilia had become quiet, and for a moment Blair thought she just wanted to be held, which worried her for a split second when Shannon continued.

"Are those tears? Oh no, I'm so sorry Daddy took so long, but I'm here now, ok?"

Jules heard the drawer being open, and Cecilia began to whine again, as Shannon had probably put her unattended on the changing table.

"It's ok, my angel. I'll be quick, I promise."

The drawer was closed, and Blair heard the noise of the diaper stickers being pulled.

"I hope you don't have a surprise for daddy, here. I'm hoping for just a little pee. Can it be just a little pee? Can it?"

Shannon seemed to be teasing her with a baby voice so adorable Blair's heart melted inside her chest.

"Well, judging by the smell it's not just pee, is it?" He spoke to the baby, almost as if waiting for her reply.