1

the evening had grown old, the city covered over with darkness, the wind hurried torn newspaper down the streets that now slept at ease, the breath of the world was gentle and slow. however, to one particular one woman the night juxtaposed all of the above. to her, the evening was young, the city was bright, the wind kept her alive and moving and the breathing of the world was uneasy and uncertain of what may lay ahead. the girl drunkenly tugged her once delicate, now hefty feet around the sparkling parisian street, feeling every inch of the tall, false sense of power it gave her. the street lights, like candles on a cake marbled with black, flickered every now and again.
she blinked.
her weighted eyes, the glossy colour of waxed chestnuts, flashed their gaze like a beacon to a small oak bench perched by a reassuring small town cathedral. the cathedral clocks chimes onward to twelve in the fresh morning and the peaks of the grand clock shook dust off the old organ that slept silently inside the brick building. she stood at this bench in the dark, took a deep breath and exhaled piercingly, so much so that nearby birds leaped from the trees like a net had been thrown toward them and in seconds had vanished from the town. before the odd young girl knew it she had sprawled herself carelessly across the length of the wood, in which she exhaled again and again, in hope that midnights stars would soon vanish.
"i am not the type of girl to do this. i am polite, passive and poised. i have standards and i do not tolerate this behaviour!" the girl chuckled merrily to the ghosts of the night, in which they responded with an empty silence.
"i must say... paris truly does exist to create a change on your outlook." she now focused on some distant point within and smiled, however this smile wasn't so much drunken, but more so promising. the smell of sweet parisian wine hit her teeth as she exhaled once again, she laughed as she knew that this was indeed the first real time of freedom and living, this was the first morning of arriving in paris, france.