Chapter 1

Word Count: 1,297

Steam billowed out over the platform as I hauled my trunk towards the train. Remus followed behind me, our owl Murdoch on his shoulder. "Let's hurry so we get some good seats," I said, tugging on his sweater sleeve. Remus nodded and hurried up the steps into the train carriage. He turned and lifted my trunk up for me before rushing off to find an empty compartment.

I took the handle of my trunk in hand and started to wheel it after him, only to bump into someone. "Watch where you're going, would ya, Moonbeam?" A very familiar voice grumbled. I glanced up to find the hazel eyes of none other than James Potter.

"Prongs!" I laughed. He chuckled and pulled me into a hug.

"Hey now, what about me?" Another familiar voice whined. "Lillie loves me more, Prongs." My head swiveled to see my other best friend, Sirius Black, standing behind me. He grabbed my arm and yanked me into a bone-crushing hug.

"Sirius. Can't. Breathe," I gasped.

"Sorry." Sirius stepped back. "Where's Moony?"

"Getting a compartment. Come on, he's probably found one by now," I replied, leading the way down the corridor. We had to shove our way through a crowd of second years before finding my twin. He waved us into the compartment. I spotted Peter sitting by the window, staring forlornly out at the train station.

"Wormy, how was your break?" James asked, slinging his trunk onto the luggage rack and throwing himself down next to Peter.

"Alright," replied Peter. I gripped my trunk and set it on the seat before preparing to lift it to the rack as well. Sirius quickly took it from me and shoved it up next to James's trunk. "Thanks," I mumbled, taking a seat next to Remus.

Sirius threw me a grin as he slung his trunk by mine then flung himself next to me. His arm draped loosely over my shoulders, and I tried not to shiver. "So, Moony," Sirius said, "what have you and Moonbeam been up to this summer? Still both dealing with your furry little problem?" James and Peter chuckled.

"Unfortunately," Reums replied. I hit Sirius' shoulder, and he pouted at me.

"Just asking a question, Lills," Sirius whined.

"Yeah, well, you can keep asking Remmie questions, but I'm going to find Lily." I stood and stretched. As I slid the door shut, James called, "Say hi from me!" I rolled my eyes before setting off down the corridor. By the time the train whistle blew and the wheels started rolling, I had searched all but the last car with private compartments. I was about to turn around when I spotted a figure headed up the walkway to me.

His black curly hair was a dead giveaway about who it was, but I probably would have recognized him anyway just by the way he carried himself.

"Lupin," Regulus Black greeted coldly.

"Black," I replied.

"Haven't seen my brother, have you?" He sneered. Behind him, the steel gray eyes of Lucius Malfoy glared at me.

"Of course not. He's only my best friend, isn't he?" I replied, crossing my arms.

"Send him my regards. I would do so in person, but I don't want to deal with the riff-raff," Regulus spat.

"Go run back to your cult, why don't you," I replied before spinning and waltzing down the corridor in the opposite direction. Halfway down the train, I was met by a head of fiery red hair barreling toward me.

"Ana!" Lily hugged me fiercely, and I returned the hug with just as much enthusiasm.

"Lils, I missed you so much!" I giggled. Lily pulled me into a compartment and I was greeted by three other girls: Alice Fortescue, Marlene McKinnon, and Elizabeth Abbott.

"How was your summer, Lillie?" Alice asked me politely. I liked her alright. I didn't consider her one of my closest friends, but we had shared a dorm together for what would be seven years, so I got to know her well enough.

"Not too bad. Yourself?"

"Frank wrote to her all summer so it couldn't have been terrible, could it?" Elizabeth grinned at Alice.

Alice's face turned pink, and she brushed her brown hair behind her ear. "Well, that's not strictly true," she replied. "We wrote each other maybe once a week."

I snorted. "That's more than I wrote James and Sirius," I pointed out. "A lot more, considering the bloody gits don't ever reply." Lily laughed.

"Oh, really?" Marlene asked. "Sirius wrote to me every day. And he answered all my questions too." She grinned and twirled a piece of hair, looking off into space dreamily. I felt my heart drop.

Lily glanced at me, frowning. She took my hand and tugged me into the corridor. Shutting the door, she turned to me and said, "You know they don't actually fancy each other. She just likes it when he flirts with her," Lily reminded me.

"I know, but...why would he write her when he didn't write me?" I whined. "James wrote more than he did, and they were in the same house for Merlin's sake!"

"I don't know," Lily replied quietly. She wrapped her arms around me and held me tight. "If he can't see that you're more amazing than her, then he's a prat," Lily whispered. I smiled.

"Thanks, Lils."

----

From the train, the windows of Hogwarts looked like glowing eyes that you would often see at the edge of the Forbidden Forest. They reflected off the lake, mixing with the stars above. The train pulled to a screeching halt, and I was almost thrown into Sirius, who stood in front of me in the queue to exit the train. The crowds pushed forward and down the steps on to the platform.

"Firs' years!" The familiar voice of Hagrid yelled over the crowd. "Firs' years over this way! Come on now!"

"Remember when we were that small?" James asked. I nodded.

"It feels like forever ago," I said.

"What're you talking about, Lillie?" Sirius bumped my shoulder. "You still are that small." The boys laughed as I shook my head in amusement.

"Thanks, Siri."

"I'll be here all week." He grinned. "Now, hurry up, you lot. We've got to get a good carriage."

James led us to one near the front and the five of us clambered in. "It's strange to think that this is our last year," James commented as the carriage started moving.

"Don't remind me," replied Sirius. "It means I have to think about responsibility."

"Merlin forbid," Remus chuckled. "Prongs will need to work hard this year. He is Head Boy after all."

"Speaking of, weren't you supposed to be up front with Evans and the Prefects?" asked Peter.

James's eyes widened. "I what? Why didn't anyone tell me?" He whined. The four of us laughed.

"You'll get your chance, Jamsie," I told him, patting his shoulder. He slumped in his seat and pouted.

Sirius scoffed. "Yeah, right. He's been after her since first year. I'll be surprised if she doesn't kill him in his sleep." I rolled my eyes and glanced at Remus. He was gazing out the window at the moon. I followed his eyes and noted that it was about halfway through the cycle. I sighed. Remus always had a harder time dealing with our condition. My transitions on the full moon were more painful, and Remus always blamed himself for that, even if it wasn't his fault. It hurt my heart.

"Remus," I whispered. I reached for his hand, causing him to turn his green eyes on me. When our eyes met, I knew exactly what he was thinking. "I know you're not fine." Remus closed his eyes and leaned into me. "And that's okay, because neither am I."