Chapter One

The relentless, painful chaos started with a call.

Late springtime in New Jersey often emulated beauty. The iridescent jade hue had finished maturing throughout nature's canvases. The bitter, sharp air softened to a comfortable setting. The hibernating sun finally awakened to add a dewy, consuming glow to everything in its path. The uninterrupted innocence of new beginnings that effortlessly inspired everyone in the quaint little town of Long Valley. The annual occurrence that Grayson Dolan deeply cherished.

It was a simple shift that signified hardly anything to the vast majority, but the unforgettable memories created during this time gave meaning to an otherwise uneventful period. Grayson distinctly remembered childhood adventures with his identical twin brother Ethan that brought tremendous happiness to his life. Four-wheeler excursions in their massive, forest-like backyard that commonly resulted in a few cuts and scratches. Cliff jumping from forty feet high into a murky, fast-moving river that proved to be too dangerous on several occasions. Sleepless nights filled with creativity and laughter and stupidity. Impulsive decisions preceding late night road trips or tattoos or juvenile escapades that seemed amusing to their youthful minds. The multitude of special events brought purpose to Grayson's existence and sharing them all with the most vital person in his life proved to be the reason why.

Ethan Dolan was undeniably, wholeheartedly the only being that essentially contributed to every factor of Grayson's soul. At face value, he was just a brother, but to Grayson, he was remarkably more. His support never faltered regardless of whatever scenario they found themselves in, albeit negative or positive. His persistent drive and passion for life contagiously penetrated Grayson's willpower and often developed a new internal tenacity within him that he was grateful for. His unconditional love never went unnoticed or underappreciated. A best friend, a companion, a wonderful human being. The title of a brother just didn't quite sum it up.

It was a pivotal bond that would change everything.

The morning that it happened, that heartbreaking interval of distress, was irreversibly etched in Grayson's mind like a horrible nightmare on repeat. They were sitting on the mahogany hardwood floor, backs pressed against the plush loveseat that resided in the living room during a blossoming May sunrise. Ethan had elaborately planned an extravagant afternoon loaded with excitement and calculated risk. Their older sister Cameron waited impatiently by the dining room table consuming a large bowl of cereal in between hasty complaints.

"Can you asshats hurry up? I wanted to leave an hour ago before it warmed up. I'm not trying to sweat all fucking day."

Grayson's attention had long averted well before his sister's statement. With heedful eyes and attentive ears, they listened to the troubling words uttered by the news anchor. Usually, Grayson never found much solace in watching the news, a place filled with negativity and deteriorating hope for the greater good of society, but occasionally he found himself curious as to what was transpiring out there. He figured an enlightened mind was better than living in ignorance more often than not. At least, that's what he hoped.

"President John Cooper has been at the forefront of recent allegations of a disturbing find. An unidentified organization has secretly been targeting and recruiting 18-year-old males over the last few weeks for what appears to be an army of some sort. A large portion of military-style equipment, weapons, and supplies have all mysteriously disappeared. There have been no recent threats made to the safety of the United States or our military forces. We have no knowledge as to why this group is being assembled or where they are located, but we do know now that President Cooper has taken responsibility for this action and is set to make a statement later today."

Ethan shook his head in disapproval glancing at Grayson as if someone plucked a hair of optimism from his heart.

"What the fuck is going on bro?"

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Jan 05, 2019 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

The Hiding | Dolan Twinsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें