Is It That Time Of The Year Again?

Jethro looked at his watch and grimaced as he raced around the kitchen finalizing the dinner he was preparing. It was Tim's birthday and during the few years they'd dated, whenever the month of November rolled around, his lover would sigh and say 'Is it that time of the year again?" Tim refused to let Jethro make a big deal out of his birthday and it wasn't until a few weeks ago that he found out why. The younger man had stated that growing up his parents would always have big parties for Sarah but when it came time for his birthday he'd be lucky if he received any presents. He went on to say that he'd forgiven his parents and felt a celebration would only bring up all the bad memories he'd worked hard to forget. Jethro had originally promised Tim he wouldn't go overboard for his birthday, but the more he thought about it, the more he realized it was a promise he couldn't keep. He could only hope that Tim wouldn't be upset and they could use it as an opportunity to create new memories together.

Jethro had left work early saying he had an appointment and a reassurance from Tony that he would drop Tim off after work. The smirk on Tim's face when he left made him realize he was perhaps not as stealthy as he used to be. It didn't matter though; all that mattered was he got to spend the night pampering the man he loved. His phone chimed with a text from Tony saying they were leaving work and estimated to be at the house within the next thirty minutes. Quickly seasoning the steaks he pushed the plate further back on the counter and glanced down at doggy Jet. The dog cocked his head to one side and licked his lips. Jethro chuckled and stepped over to the sink to wash his hands, "I'm going to change clothes; when I come back down those steaks better be exactly where I left them.

The dog barked his annoyance and made his way over to the corner of the kitchen,plopping down with a huff. "Don't worry, buddy I didn't forget about you. We're all celebrating Tim's birthday, I even got a special piece of steak just for you." Jethro's ears perked up and he lifted his head from where it had been resting on his paws. Gibbs laughed and quickly headed upstairs to freshen up and change into more formal attire. He stripped down to his boxers and for a moment thought about going commando, but nixed the idea when he remembered he'd rented the tux. If the night went as planned he certainly didn't want to return the pants with stains. Tim had mentioned how he always wanted to see Jethro in a tux and the older man put the idea in the back of his mind for a special occasion.

He'd decided there was no better special occasion than Tim's birthday and couldn't wait to see the look on his face when he walked through the door. It had been hard for him to sneak away for a fitting, but eventually he was able to do so and decided on a traditional black tux with a black bow tie. He'd even had a cream colored bow tie made for Jet. It had been a while since he'd worn a tux but the tailor had given him a brief lesson before he'd left the store and he was dressed within a matter of minutes. Glancing at his watch again he sent a quick text to Tony asking him how much time he had then ducked into the bathroom to freshen up. When his phone chimed with a text that said fifteen minutes he quickly finished up and took a glimpse in the full-length mirror. After straightening his tie and collar he slid into the jacket, grabbed the tie for the dog and headed back downstairs. Jethro barked his approval when he walked into the kitchen and the older man called the canine over to him.

"Sit...stay..." Jethro demanded as he knelt down and slipped the tie around the dog's neck. "Good boy!" He praised, rubbing the dog's ears before securing the tie in the right position. Taking a step back he whistled his approval, "You look handsome, Jet. I think your daddy is going to be impressed at how dapper we look tonight."

Realizing he only had a few minutes before Tim arrived home he dimmed the lights and proceeded to light all the candles in the family and dining room. Once that was finished he returned to the kitchen to check on the lobster tails and potatoes in the oven. The food looked and smelled delicious and he was proud of himself for cooking on his own. It was a running joke between the two of them that Tim loved to cook and Jethro loved to eat. He figured his lover would expect take out from one of his favorite restaurants and he was glad he'd be able to surprise him. Once the dining room table was set, a vase of Tim's favorite flowers, composed of Dahlias, Tulips, Daffodils and Daisies was used as a center piece. As Jethro put the finishing touches on the table he saw headlights beam through the window and heard a car pull into the driveway. He whistled for Jet to come from the kitchen and the dog raced around the corner, taking a seat by Jethro's feet. The older man knelt down and fixed the dog's tie and quickly shot up when he heard Tim's key engage the lock. Straightening his jacket he took a deep breath and waited anxiously for Tim to open the door.