Chapter 1

Speed walking through Central Park, toward the entrance, I groan at the sight before me. Some emo punk is leaning up against one of the tall oak trees and throwing stones at the ducks, who quack back in alarm. Some even fluttered away to escape the torment. Clenching my fists, I strode forward, inwardly surprised at my courage. As I approached, I made sure I was still on the path and in plain sight of other people in case things got aggressive.

"Hey! You can't throw stones at the ducks!" Inwardly, I'm wincing at how high my voice sounds and wave my hand to get the guy's attention as he continues to lob rocks at the poor birds. He's muttering to myself and I grumble as well, "Great, a crazy person."

"Listen, buddy, if you don't stop throwing the rocks, I'm going to call the cops and you'll be arrested for animal cruelty." I know for a fact that he'd probably get off with a warning, but I wanted to scare him. Even though I was the one who was scared. What is your deal, Elara? He could have a knife or worse a gun! Don't you watch the news!

I push the little voice to the back of my mind as the warning bells around me go off. I take a look around, praying someone will back me up; but instead, I'm met with confused stares and whispers as people walk by. None stop to help, in fact, they seem to be giving me and the darkly dressed man a wide berth on the path.

Turning back to him, I walk forward, off the path and onto the dewy grass. As I get closer, the smell of ash and smoke tickle my nose and I grimace. Geez. Was this guy rolling in a fire pit? Trying not to gag, I glare at him with renewed vigor.

"Look, kid, I don't have all day. Why don't you save yourself the trouble and move along? How would you like it if I started throwing rocks at you, huh?" This seemed to get his attention as his whole body froze and he turned. He was taller now that he wasn't leaning against the tree and in that instant, I realized he wasn't some kid. He was a man. All muscled and huge. A huge man with big hands that could no doubt rip my head clear off my neck.

Damn it, Elara. Where is your mace?

His dark sunglasses tilted down the bridge of his nose and I could briefly see a flash of dark eyes hidden behind them. His voice, while deep, was hoarse as if he didn't spend much time talking or enjoyed screaming. Maybe in a psych ward? At that thought, my hand instinctively clutched my purse tighter, delving one hand into the small outer pocket so I could clutch the tiny cylinder of mace. My only protection against the crazy man.

"You can see me?" His words, while quiet, were clear as day. I rolled my eyes and scoffed at his question. He's one of those guys. He asks again, clearly impatient now, "You can actually see me?"

"Yes, I can see you. Look, I get that you think you're some untouchable god, but get real. Leave the ducks alone or else I'll call the cops." I crossed my arms over my chest and winced at the feel of his eyes drifting over my small frame. While my top half was tiny, my pear shaped rear and thighs hadn't gotten the tiny memo. I didn't appreciate being leered at and when the man's lips curled, I instantly felt violated. Memories of the bitches in high school came flooding back to me.

Don't open that can of worms, Elara.

"I'd like to see that, Little Moon." He mumbled darkly. I tensed at his words. I hadn't even told him my name, let alone the meaning of my name. Inwardly, I was seething for a whole other reason. Why couldn't my parents have chosen a normal name. Less moon-like!

Keep it together, Elara Greer. You are a twenty-four year old graduate and you're working at one of the best animal hospitals on the east coast. You don't want or need his opinion.

The rocks slid from his palms and landed on the grass. I breathed a sigh of relief and gave him one last final glare. "I'm glad you've chosen the easier option. Good day."

Spinning on my sneakered heel, I speed walk away. His whispered words follow me, "See you soon, Elara." Shaking my head, I push him from my mind and breath another sigh of relief as I cross the busy New York street. As I make my way onto Lexington, the prickle of awareness warns me to look up. I do and when I do, my eyes clash with his. The dark clothed man is standing behind me across the street at the entrance to Central Park. His sunglasses are back up and he's grinning. I blink and turn, keeping in the sight of others. When I turn my head to make sure he isn't following me, I'm stunned. He is no longer there. He just vanished.

I jump in fright at the vibrations in my pocket and accidentally bump into a smartly dressed older man who mutters a curse as his coffee spills. Apologizing profusely, I grab my cell phone and hit the answer button to the call. Smiling, I answer with a cheerful hello.

"Babe? You okay? I've tried calling you twice. The hospital was wondering where you were?" Hudson's voice on my phone soothed me and instinctually my anxiety ricocheted to life. Oh, crap! I'm late!

Rushing around people on the crowded street, I quickly explained I'd gotten caught up in the park, "Look, I'll tell you about it later, at dinner, right? You're picking me up at my place?"

Hudson cleared his throat and voices on his end, while muffled, could still be heard asking him a question, "Actually, do you mind meeting me at the bar? I don't think I'll be able to get out of here in time to pick you up."

Ah, the joys of being a lawyer. Wincing at my negative thought, I tried to sound happy and supportive to Hudson Wright. Even though my boyfriend of four years had had to cancel our last five dinner dates due to work, I knew it was all worth it. We were both busy people and our careers came first. It was one of the things that had attracted me to Hudson in the first place. Being in the foster care system as a child hadn't been easy and money was tight. I grew up learning that if you wanted something in life, you had to work hard and fight for it.

"Sounds great. I'll wear that black dress you like so much." I replied, trying not to let the disappointment cloud my voice. I couldn't stop the blush that went to my face as I recalled Hudson's reaction the last time, I'd worn the black dress to his firm's Christmas party the year before.

"Great, babe. Got to go, the meeting is starting. Love you." He quickly hung up as I approached the steps of the New York Veterinary Hospital. It had been a blood bath just to get an interview for my internship, but totally worth it. As I made my way up the steps, I prayed this day would get better.

Sadly, it didn't.

Curse of the InBetween (Book 1 of the InBetween Series)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara