𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

CHAPTER THREE | ORIGINAL SIN

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

RILEY HAD NOT SLEPT THE ENTIRE NIGHT SINCE SHERIFF FORBES DREDGED THE QUARRY TO FIND AN EMPTY SAFE. Silas had dropped Stefan in the quarry inside the safe, and the fact that it was empty gave them hope. Though, the Evans girl couldn't help but panic about where Stefan was, and whether he was okay. Admitting defeat, Riley exhaled deeply and sat upright, lifting her knees up and resting her chin on them.

"Oh. I'd forgotten how difficult you are to sleep with." Her sudden movements had caused Damon to stir awake, a concerned look on his face when he saw Riley had endured a sleepless night. "Come on, Riley, you need to get some rest."

"Believe me, I've tried. I just— I can't get my mind to shut off, you know?" The witch began to stumble over her own words as she tried her best to explain it to Damon.

Riley exhaled deeply and dropped her head Damon onto Damon's bare chest. He wrapped his arms around his girlfriend's body and sighed. "You need to stop worrying. We're gonna find him."

"But, what if we don't?" Riley anxiously spoke again. "He's out there somewhere, alone."

"We've got a problem." Elena's voice carried from the door of Damon and Riley's bedroom. The couple slowly lifted themselves back up when they saw the doppelgänger stood with an anxious look on her face. "Katherine and I had the exact same dream about Stefan. I don't know about you guys, but I don't think that's a coincidence."

A soft grunt left Damon's lips as he threw himself back down into the clutches of his pillow.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"So, I found nine bars along Route 29." Damon spoke as he wandered back into a parlour with a duffel bag whilst Elena was stood by a map, planning a route.

"Spoiler alert— none of them are called Joe's." Riley heavily exhaled as she pulled her hair up into a hair bun on the top of her head whilst Damon dropped the duffel bag onto the couch.

"I had a feeling there was something wrong all summer, and I ignored it." The doppelgänger glanced between Riley and Damon with a guilty look. "But, I was right. Stefan was in a safe, and probably killed whoever it was that found him."

The witch nodded. "I think that's a safe assumption. He'd have been starving for months, so he probably ate the first person he saw."

"I know it sounds crazy that I'm following some psychic dream, but it's the only lead that we have."

"It doesn't sound crazy. It is crazy." Damon deadpanned with a small scoff, only to watch an irritated look form on Elena's face. "But, I'm open-minded."