The Talk

I was little when I first got "the talk". How people of different ethnic minorities are supposed to act around law enforcement. Respect them. If you get in any situation with the police you let them see your hands. If they don't see your hands, they start to get nervous and panic which isn't good for anyone. You only answer their questions nothing more nothing less. No matter what they say, or do you respect them even if they don't deserve it. This is what I was taught. How I was told to act around the police. My daddy always said, "Even though at the time you will feel powerless and weak because of who you are, don't ever forget that begin black is a greatness that no one can take away from you". I always kept that with me. Always reminded myself that I shouldn't be ashamed of who I was.

I never really understood what begin black in LA meant till I was older. "Our kind" is stereotyped for begin criminals and the police have the authority to kill the minority. They think every black person is selling narcotics or gang banging. Every day we face challenges because of the color of our skin. We leave our house and have racist slurs shouted at us and get called animals, trying to get a job is near impossible. We don't get the same opportunities as white people. Most of us grow up in a "ghetto" area. We are made to believe we have no other choice but crime. Almost every black American has faced disrespect for begin an ethnic minority.

"Ava wake up in time for school." My momma stormed into my room and pulled the curtains open so the light would shine on my face. I quickly jumped and pulled the covers over my face.

"Ava you and your sister have been late too many times this year I don't want any more attendance letters home." My mother as hard as she tried to make her voice sound strict she's was just too soft. I decided to get up o she wouldn't worry. I went to the bathroom first to get ready. Try and brush through my curly frizzy hair. I'm not really fussed about what I look like. My brows were already naturally thick, and I was blessed with my momma naturally long eyelashes. Yes, i get the occasional spot but who doesn't am 17 leave me be.

I splashed cold water on my face to wake myself up brushed my teeth and ran down stairs for my breakfast. My mom insisted we be heathy for she made us eat fruit every morning.

"now make sure you eat something girls can't leave the house with an empty stomach."

"Some of us aren't morning people mother and would rather eat breakfast later." Tasha rolled her eyes after mum gave her the look.

My sister and I grabbed our bags and were on our way. Bracing ourselves for another day as begin black citizens of LA.

"Be careful girls and remember if anything happens call me." My dad said with a worry look in his eye as he has done for the last 15 years of my twin and I life.

"We will daddy don't worry." Tasha said with a glowing smile such a daddy girl.

"Were always careful don't worry dad." I then kissed my parent goodbye and left for school with my sister.

"why do they always do that." Tasha mumbled as she closed the door behind her.

"Do what?" I asked even though I was already fully aware of what she meant.

"The whole black thing every single morning." she let out a big sigh.

I know our race effects Tasha more than it had ever me. Tasha hangs about with the wrong crowd you could say. It's not even a crowd more a gang. She joined to keep herself protected from the police because they stick together. Since she's My sister it gives me some type of protection card also which I of course do not ask for. Obviously, mom and dad don't know. They'd kill her or worse. They would lecture her.

"why give the police a reason to arrest your black ass." my father would say.

Am surprised they've not caught her with the things she gets up to. The signs are there as well and the amount of time I've had to lie where she is or who she's with. The think she at after school activities even though he grades are below average. I believe they refuse to see it. They rather think they have the perfect daughters than come to the realization one of them need help. I don't know why Tasha would put herself in danger by gang activities but am not surprised either. The police can be horrible, target you I mean I should know...