More alive

Takumi Pov

Loud chatter from the busy streets of Japan invade my thoughts. People going about their day walking around me. Some enjoyed their time with others while I sulked. Some rushing to go to work and I wonder why bother? I looked around and saw friends chatting with each other, smiling and enjoying each other's presence. Sometimes you wonder if those laughs and smiles are genuine. If every kind gesture to a friend was appreciated or was it not enough.

I've spent everyday of my life surrounded by fake smiles. Even my family I sometimes question their motives. Are they doing what's best for me or for themselves? It's bothersome not knowing who you can and can't trust. My life has always been like this. It felt empty. Broken. Sad.

I go through each day wondering why bother. Why be here? Surrounded by lies. It was best to just run away. I walked down the street thinking about my life. What is to come of it?

I was lost in thought. I didn't know what I was doing. My mind wasn't there. I stopped at a crossing. It signalled to walk. I took a step one after the next and didn't realise what was about to happened. Suddenly, my body hit the paved road hard. I hit my head in the process. A car which was running the stop light had hit me.

My mind went blank. I heard people gasped around me and came rushing to my side. I felt suffocated with too many of them around me. I came too and realised the situation. I slowly got up not wanting to be bothered. I felt fine. Nothing hurt surprisingly. I guess the car just bumped me.

"I'm fine," I whispered softly then began to walk away. I didn't need their fake concern. They won't care what happened to me. I was glad they left me alone until someone grabbed my arm. Just great!

I reluctantly looked around and came face to face with a raven haired woman probably around my age. Her amber eyes looked to me with concern. I doubted it. Maybe she just wanted to seem like a good person around these people. She could take her kindness elsewhere. I removed her hand.

"I said I'm fine," I repeated just wanting to be alone.

"No you're not. There's a clinic around here at least let's go there," She said holding me so I can't leave.

"Why do you care?" I asked. Didn't she know when someone didn't want to be bothered? Clearly not. Why was she still pestering me?

"Because you're hurt and anyone would be worried," She answered. She really did looked like she cared.

"No they wouldn't," I mumbled. She must not have seen the cruel side of the world.

"I'll let you go on your way after you're okay. Some people might not care but I hate seeing people hurt."

I gave up. As long as she kept her promise and left me alone after this then it won't hurt. I nodded to let her take me to this clinic around the street. We entered and sat down in silence. I wasn't bleeding or had pain anywhere so why was I here? This made no sense.

I tried to distract myself from this situation by reading a book. I glanced in her direction shortly and saw her seemingly playing a game on her phone. If she left me alone she wouldn't be bored.

"Are you ready?" A doctor pointed at us.

I got up and followed after the doctor. I could hear footsteps behind and realised this woman was following me. I turned and glared at her letting her know I didn't want her in there with me. She glared back at me but sat back down. I continued after the doctor. After a full checkup I was deemed healthy and okay just like I said. What a waste of time and money.

"It's good you're okay," This mysterious lady said smiling.

It was random but something made my heart flutter. I didn't know what the feeling was exactly. I calmed myself and walked out the clinic only to be welcomed by rain. What a perfect day it is.