Prologue

A tall muscular young man sighed as he watched his lively tribe doing their daily work in the hot summer air. All around him men and women were either crafting, farming, training, or watching their young children play.

Everything seemed peaceful.

For now. He thought grimly.

As he was in his thoughts, another man, bigger and masculine, appeared beside him, arms crossed as he stared at the small tribe through narrowed eyes.

"We've lost so many, Oak," he grumbled. "Last winter did not treat us kindly."

Oak nodded in agreement. "Yes I know, Blade."

A disease had spread around like a river in the camp, and many have not survived. Oak's heart lurched as he thought of his fallen friends. Men and women, old and young, have perished.

"And that medicine woman barely did anything to help." Blade scoffed.

"Apple did everything she could to help. It was difficult to tend to everyone when she didn't have an apprentice to help her." Oak protested in slight annoyance.

Blade just rolled his eyes in response.

Although there have been hardships in the past, Oak knew, with pride, that his people were recovering greatly.

"Look on the bright side, brother." Oak said warmly, forgetting about their little disagreement and now facing Blade. "We are still growing."

He gestured to the nursery, where women who were nursing and expecting lived until their children were big enough to leave and sleep in their own cabin with their parents. A young boy, at least five was walking around, tagged along by a toddler girl, waddling behind him. They watched in awe as they saw a few bigger kids weaving baskets.  Their parents watched in slight amusement. A pregnant woman was resting while another one,  with raven black hair was nursing her newborn, her soft eyes beaming with joy and love as she stared at her child.

"With so many lost, we could use more strong warriors, and there they are."

"Yes. And then the other tribes won't have to keep thinking of how weak we are and try to invade our camp." Blade's voice seemed slightly satisfied.

As satisfied as he can be. Oak knew his brother could rarely ever be satisfied with anything. Everything had to be perfect for him. He always made sure the kids were doing their chores and would sometimes send out the hunters and patrollers. He seems to forget that Oak was the one in charge of the tribe and that he was only in charge of planning and leading when it came to war with the other tribes.

Before Oak could say anything else, the patrol appeared through the bushes, followed by a man who was on guard.

Each of their faces shared a look of shock and horror, which concerned Oak and made Blade's brow raise. The patrol leader took a step towards them.

"Chief Oak!" A young man with short brown hair gasped, his deep hazel eyes frantic.

"What is it, Spruce?" Oak asked.

Spruce licked his lips and looked at the ground, as if thinking of what he should say to his Chief. After a moment, Blade's patience reached its limits.