Prologue

April 10th, 2018
~Three years prior~

It all began in one cliche morning. I have a old alarm clock that instead of beeping, either a song or a randomly selected radio station goes off. It was playing politics that I naturally avoid because politics does cause some drama and fights with some people. I sat up, rubbed my eyes, and pressed the button. It's my last year of high school and I have two months left until I graduate. And boy I'm not gonna miss waking up at the crack of dawn to get ready.

I open the door to the first thing seeing Ace standing there with the pleading look in his eyes. Ace. Our family dog but he sees more of his "momma," than anything.

"Come on, boy." I said in a groggy voice.

He knew I was still half asleep before he jumped up making me fall to the ground and gave me slobbery kisses.

"Ah! Ace!" I squeaked trying to get up. I was laughing in the process.

"Ace, come on. We can't wake up my mom!" I said as he got off me finally and I got up and took him outside and fed him before I made breakfast.

Ace is such a goofball. I thought with a small smile as I went to take a shower and get ready.

Ace was whimpering, wanting to go with me.

"Ace you can't go. Only service dogs can go to my school." I said as he continued to whimper.

I kneeled down to him.

"I'll be back soon.. I promise." I said before resting my head on his and he gave me a quick lick.

I got up and left and went to school.

~*O*~

I went to first class normally and it was U.S. History. Of course, everyone was talking about the same thing I half heard on the radio this morning.

"Psst." I whispered to a girl before her eyes met mine.

"What's going on?" I quietly whispered.

"The president has signed a bill to raise defenses on naval waters after seeing what the other countries have been plotting against us."

And I don't want to get into detail remembering everything I taught about previous wars.

"Rumor has it that Japan is gonna make it like the attack on Pearl Harbor." She whispered.

Bah. Rumors are not (usually) true.

"Names Ruby." She introduced.

"Grace."

When I said my name, I noticed something off... I see Ace running towards the school building.

"Miss Patterson!" Mr. Lovichi said as I looked at him.

"Please pay attention!" He said harshly as I point outside.

"Can I have five minutes? That's my dog, sir." I pleaded.

"Your dog?" He said as he thought I was making an excuse.

"That's my dog, sir!" I pleaded as he sighs and excuses me outside.

I would immediately bolt out of the class and down the stairs and head outside to see Ace acting antsy and whining.