Stay...? [Steve Rogers x Reader]

You were walking across the streets of New York City, a place you could happily call home, for about an hour now. You have moved there just a few weeks ago and loved to pick new places to go or new things to do, but tonight you just wanted to get lost in that city.

"It's so beautiful..." you mumble while passing by the Empire State Building, trying to find the top of it. You would probably break your neck from staring too much at the sky, but you didn't mind. You felt alive there, in a way you never did back in your hometown.

You smile, lowering your head so you could see where you're going. It doesn't matter though, you just want to appreciate all of it, so you put on your headphones and keep randomly crossing your legs through the night.

Suddenly, you feel a presence behind you. You stop and turn around, hoping it would be just the wind. You don't see anyone behind you, so you just start to walk again. But as soon as you take the first step, two big guys show up, terrifying you. You try to run, but one of them grabs your arm as the other steals your bag and your phone.

"WHO THE HELL ARE YOU??" you scream while struggling to get out of the man's grip.

"Nobody you need to worry about" the one who's holding your bag replies. "Now shut up, would ya?"

The men drag you to a dark corner, which makes you fear them more.

"I'M CALLING THE COPS YOU M*THERF******" you curse them.

"Sorry babe, no one's going to help you", they laugh at you and the hand that's holding you starts to sore your arm.

"LET ME GOOOO AAAAH" you scream again, praying for somebody to show up.

"Leave the lady alone" you hear another masculine voice.

"Who's there!?" the man who's holding you asks.

"I said..." a tall, gold-haired man goes closer to you, "Leave. The Lady. ALONE."

He punches the man in the nose, freeing you, and promptly kick the other one's back. In a blink, the bad guys are beaten and your savior calmly picks up your belongings.

"These must be yours, ma'am..." he hands you your bag. You are so amazed and grateful that, instead of politely thank him and go home, you throw yourself into his arms.

"Th-thank you so much!" you say, hugging him tenderly.

He blushes and freeze, not really knowing how to react, but you don't care; you just stand there, feeling very relieved.

Your eyes stop at the image of the knocked out thieves. Tears start streaming down your face as you realize that something really bad could've happened if he hasn't showed up, so you instantly bury your face in his chest.

He finally wrap his arms around you and lays his chin on the top of your head. "Shh..." he tries to comfort you, stroking your back, "It's over... you're safe now, 'kay?"

"Y-yes, I know..." you wipe your tears away and smile, "Thank you again, sir!"

"No worries!", he says, still holding you, "It's Steve, by the way..."

"Oh, then thank you, Steve!", you recover your joy from earlier and leave his embrace... it was getting akward to be like that with a stranger, even if it's a nice and handsome stranger.

He frowned a little as you pulled away. Was he enjoying it?

"Well, uh...", you hesitate, since you REALLY don't want to go home after meeting such a gentleman, "I... think I better be going"

"Really? I-I MEAN... Sure!", the cute blonde stumble over his words, "I'll walk you home, ma'am"

"Oh, thank you...", you say as your heart skips a beat, pretending not to notice that he is holding your hand. You two then start ambling around Manhattan instead of quickly going to your place, talking about how much you loved the city.

"I rather be in Brooklyn... after all, that's where I was born", Steve says, gazing at the streets with the same dreamy, sentimental look as yours.

"Is that so?", you chuckle, "I only moved to Manhattan so I could be near the Central Park"

"So you weren't' born here, ma'am?"

"No, no...", you explain "But it has always been my dream to live here!"

"I see", Steve grins "New York City is very charming in it's own way"

"I know right? I'm so in love with it!"

You take a few more walks until Steve finally escorts you home. You even take the elevator together - he insisted!

"Okay, so here we are", you announce as you two stop at your front door, "Just let me find my keys..."

Without any warning, Steve lays his hands on your waist and gently turns you so you could look at him. You gaze deeply at his beautiful blue eyes and slowly bring your face closer to his. He ends the distance between your lips with a shy peck, as if he was worried he could hurt you somehow. You giggle at his delicateness, then wrap your arms around his neck.

"Don't worry, it's okay..." you say and lean in for a real kiss this time.

He holds you tightly as you involuntarily lifts one of your foot up, like a movie scene. You felt so safe near him. He didn't have to take you home or even hang out with you, yet he did all those things... for a girl he doesn't even know. He could be just another player, of course, but something tells you he's not; you feel like you can actually trust him.

He abruptly breaks the kiss, pushing you away from him. Regret is spreading through his face as if he has done something wrong.

"I-I'm so sorry, ma'am... I got carried away... I-I shouldn't have d-done this, I'm sorry...", Steve begs you for forgiveness as he blushes, feeling guilty.

"Th-there's nothing to be sorry for!", you say, "Unless... you didn't like it?"

"It's nothing like that! Your kiss is...", he blushes even more and can't finish his sentence "I mean, you are... you're beautiful"

"Am I?", you smirk.

"Y-yes, but... it doesn't matter, I need to go", he turns around and starts marching to the elevator.

WHAT??? Was he insane or something? Why would he act like that? WHO DOES THAT?? Whatever were his reasons, you felt like you shouldn't just let him go. There was a real connection between you two, you know he noticed it too. Besides, there are no such things as accidents; he was nearby when you were in danger for a reason. You just couldn't let him slip away like that.

"STEVE!" you shout. He stopped and turned immediately, startled (you shouted too loud).

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you...", you apologize.

"Uh... It's fine, do you need something...?", he is still a little confused by your scream.

"I just...", you grab both of his hands and stare into his eyes, losing yourself in that beautiful shade of blue.

"Y-yes...?", he doesn't move... is it a good sign?

"Steve... can you... do you want to..." you can't find the proper words, so you just mumble the name of an U2 song, "Stay...?"

He hesitates, but gives up on his reluctantly attitude. You can definitely tell Steve felt the connection you felt and doesn't want to go either. His eyes meets yours and he mumbles the rest of the lyrics, "then the night would be enough?"

"How did you even-- never mind, let's go back to my apartment", you say, a bit confused (HOW DID HE KNOW YOU WERE THINKING ABOUT AN U2 SONG?) but genuinely glad that he was by your side.

"I told you, New York is charming in it's own way", Steve smirks, with his hand on your waist as you two make your way back to your front door.