one-shot

NOTE: I've been wanting to do a fanfic for these two for a while... Anyway, this is fanfiction for the Berrybrook Middle School series by Svetlana Chmakova. Also, this story takes place during the events of the third book 'Crush'.

"Hey Yanic? Dude, are you paying attention to me?" Yanic snapped his head in the direction of the voice talking to him, Foster Hilton. Foster looked at Yanic with big eyes, wondering if his friend had been listening. "Yeah. Hey... Foster, can I ask you something?" Yanic asked, a nervous tone replacing his usual snarky one.

"Yeah, what is it?" Foster asked, continuing to walk in the direction of home. "Uh... Nevermind, I forgot." Yanic lied, deciding there was probably a better time and place to do this. "Ok, well, see you tomorrow!" Foster called as he ran the rest of the way toward home, leaving Yanic standing in front of his own house alone. They lived about a block away from each other, so they always walked home together from the bus stop. Yanic waved, a smile on his face, a smile that was only for Foster.

The truth was that Yanic had had a huge crush on his best friend for a long time, and there was a school dance coming up... and Yanic was debating asking Foster to go with him, as more than just friends.

All night, Yanic looked up ways that he could possibly ask Foster to go with him to The Athletic's Ball. Finally, he decided to do something with Reese's peanut butter cups, since they were Foster's favorite candy.

After school the next day, Yanic came up behind his friend, surprising Foster by covering his eyes with both hands, so that Foster could not see. "Yanic? What are you doing?" Foster questioned, sounding a bit nervous. "Let me take you somewhere." Yanic stated, uncovering his friend's eyes and producing a blindfold from his backpack. "Ok..." Foster answered, standing still as Yanic wrapped the blindfold and tied it so it would not slip off.

After ten minutes of walking, taking an extra minute to get up all the stairs, they finally reached their destination, the small storage closet on the third floor. This is where they would spend their free-time nowadays if they had any. Here they would talk, laugh, and cry with each other.

Yanic removed the blindfold, revealing the small space decorated with lights and streamers. "Yanic..." Foster began, looking around the room in amazement. Yanic inched his friend forward, Foster gasping at what lay before him. On the ground there were small gold wrapped mini Reese's cups, spelling out "Foster, will you go to the Athletic's Ball with me?" in letters as big as possible in the small space. "Oh my god... This must've taken you all day..." Foster marveled, his eyes glassy with unshed tears of joy. "Yup... Listen, Foster, I see you as more than a friend... I like you. Will you go to the Ball with me?" Yanic asked, his voice quiet and shy, producing two tickets to the athletic's ball from behind his back. "Yanic... I like you too! And, yes, I'll go to the Athletic's Ball with you!" Foster exclaimed, looking happier than Yanic had ever seen him.

Foster and Yanic embraced each other, both of them holding each other tight.

That night, they entered the decorated gym (where the ball was held), hand in hand. Yanic was dress in a while dress shirt, a yellow dress coat, and gray dress pants. Foster was dressed in a black dress shirt, a maroon dress coat, and gray dress pants. Only a few people glanced in their direction, which made Foster relax from the nervous wreck he had been on the way over there.

Yanic and Foster danced and ate, having fun and enjoying the dance. Afterwards, Yanic walked Foster home, even though Yanic's home was closer to the school. "Thanks for tonight." Foster thanked, his content smile not leaving his face. "Yeah, I'm glad you agreed to go with me." Yanic smiled, grateful for the night they had. "I'll uh... see you tomorrow I guess..." Foster stated, averting Yanic's eyes, sad the night had to be over so soon. "Yeah... Hey Foster?". Foster turned around, surprised by a quick kiss on the cheek. "I love you." Yanic whispered, hoping it wouldn't be weird to say that. Foster smiled, giving Yanic a quick kiss on the lips in return. "I love you too.". Yanic stood dumbstruck as Foster went up his driveway, turning around to wave bye before going into the house. Yanic waved back, a stupidly-happy smile on his face. "I really, really love him." Yanic said to himself, walking home in complete happiness