I: Demi

"The usual?"

"Yes, thank you."

I watch as the very handsome waiter nods his head, a small smile on his lips before he turns around, walking back behind the counter to get my order.

I knew his name, and he knew mine. Nick was his name, it said so on his name tag. He was a waiter at 'Swift & Sweet', a small cafe in the Big Apple. Manhattan, New York City. Where the city never sleeps.

I took out my phone, sliding my thumb across the screen. Looking at the time, it was 10:37 pm and it was Thanksgiving Day. Except, I didn't feel like traveling back home to spend Thanksgiving with my family, instead I'm going to spend it here, with me, myself and I.

I just came here to this cafe after getting another 'no' from a interview to a job. No one wants to hire me at all, I must really suck.

I sigh, taking my earbuds out and putting them inside my ears, blocking the noise from the outside and drowning myself in music. Folding my arms in front of me on the table, I lay my head down on them as I look outside the window.

Men, women and children walk before me, from all sizes to ages, young or old, tall or small, they mind their own business. Having somewhere to go, someone to meet, someone to care, someone to love, someone to come home to, someone to talk to, someone to express their feelings for each other. Someone.

Someone that loves them just as much as they do to them. Just, someone.

I don't have that someone.

I want to be that someone to somebody.

Somebody to them.

As different kind of people walk before me, all eager to get out of this cold weather, wanting to get home and get all warm.

All I'm coming home to is my ID channel, a bag of Doritos and a small red couch calling my name.

A tap to my shoulder startle me and I glance up, noticing that Nick was holding my hot chocolate to me and my cupcake was in front of me. I smile at him and sit up straight, grabbing my hot chocolate from him as I nodded my head as in a thank you. "Thank you," I mutter and he gives me a kind smile.

"My pleasure," He says before turning around, going to the counter and starting to clean the counters. I was the only one in here beside him, I was a regular here ever since I moved to New York a few months ago, looking for a job, any kind of job really. The soft music playing from the speakers was the only thing that kept it from this place being quiet. I like it.

I lifted the cup to my lips and sip onto the heavenly thing. I noticie the napkin that was under my cup had something written on it.

'Happy Thanksgiving :)'

I smile, a little happy that someone else other then my family and friends wished me a Happy Thanksgiving.

I took out a pen from my purse and wrote below it.

'Thank you, hope you also have a Happy Thanksgiving. :)'

I glance over at Nick to see me him looking at me from the counter as he swipe away, he smiles once he saw me looking at him, I smiled back. I went back to my hot chocolate and cupcake. As the clock hits eleven, I was already finish and ready to go home. Getting up from my booth, I shrug on my coat and threw my scarf over my neck. Earbuds in, playing music, I left 'Swift & Sweet' to the subway. Not many people were out, since it was Thanksgiving. I bet they were all with their family and friends.

I walk alone to the train, looking at a few homeless people who were sleeping against the walls or curled up on the benches. My face soften, I felt sorry for them. I frown, looking at my train that just arrive before at the homeless people. Quickly, making my desicion, I went over to them and put a few dollars in their cups before rushing inside my train before it leaves.

I smile, grateful that I could help them out someway. Taking a seat on one of the graffiti seats, I scoot closer to the window. A man in a buisness suit sit a few feet away from me, too busy typing something on his phone to notice his surroundings. A dark skin lady sat at the other side of the train, a small little girl sleeping in her arms. A man, I'm assuming, was dressed in dark clothing, a hood over their face and their jeans showing off his underwear as he leaned against a seat. I look away, he could've pull up his pants but I wasn't going to tell him that if he pulls something on me.

New York is beautiful during the day but at night, you've gotta watch your back, hoping not to get jumped or anything of that sort.

The train doors were about to close but a hand shots out, stopping it from closing. The doors opened and in walk in Nick, a little out of breath. Huh, I didn't knew he caught the late night train. He shuffles inside, glancing around and noticing I was sitting there. Giving him a warm smile, he returns it as he walks over to me. My heart started to pound, was he gonna sit with me?

Instead of sitting with me, he stands near me, deciding to hold onto the pole instead of sitting down. I felt my heart drop in my chest, a little disappionted that he didn't sit with me.

Wait, chill Demi. You never talk to the guy other then ordering, we didn't talk to each other, much less knew of each other's lives. Just knew each other's names was all, nothing more, nothing less.

I shook my head, leaning my head softly onto the window. The train lurches forward, going inside the tunnels. It went dark for a bit, the lights inside the train aluminizing inside a bit.

For a few minutes it went on like this, before suddenly everything stop moving and the lights turned off. I frown, taking one of my earbuds out and sitting up. It was like this for a moment, before I spoked up.

"What's going on?"

"Mechanical difficulty, looks like we're gonna be in here for a while."