𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

CHAPTER FOUR | FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

IT WAS MYSTIC FALLS' TRADITION REMEMBRANCE DAY TO HONOR THE DEAD. And, considering it was Mystic Falls, there was a lot of dead to honor. Damon and Riley thought that taking Stefan for a drink, and rehashing the past one-hundred-and-sixty years to him might jog something in his memories which would in turn, bring them all flooding back— or so Damon thought.

After the three downed another shot to celebrate another member of the dead, Stefan scoffed in disbelief. "This town always so upbeat about dead people?"

"Well, in the theme of morbid town tradition, you go back to the 1820s when everyone was so paranoid about the cholera thing, that they would occasionally bury a body a wee bit before it's time." The eldest of the two brother's explained with his arm rested on the back of Riley's chair.

"So, we have a holiday dedicated to burying people alive?" Stefan trailed off again, confusion on his face as he spoke.

"It's because they were paranoid about it spreading that they'd request to be buried with a string attached to a bell. The whole entire family would gather around the grave for, like, twenty-four hours in hopes of hearing the ring of the bell, meaning their loved one would come back." Riley's eyes scanned the bar at all of the drunken idiots. "But, clearly, now it's just an excuse to get drunk."

Stefan's attention was immediately taken by the waitress who came over to collect the empty shot glasses that were bundled onto the table. Damon suddenly noticed Stefan's eyes were fixed to the artery on her neck, and cleared his throat. "Uh— hey, darling. We'd love another round, please."

"You got it." She sweetly smiled to the three and wandered off with their empty glasses.

Confusion spread across Stefan's face as he watched the woman walk away and suddenly he'd come back to his senses. "What the hell was that?"

"That, my brother, was you jonesing for something a little stronger than a blood bag."

"So, what's the problem? You two have spent the whole day trying to convince me I'm a vampire. I'm convinced. Let me act like one." Stefan whispered toward the two of them, noticing the awkward looks on their faces.

"Yeah, uh— slight problem with that. You can't." As Riley spoke, she watched Stefan's face fall. "I mean, you're a little bit of a drinker, okay. You can't really handle it."

"Yup." Damon nodded. "There are two types of vampires in the world. There are those that can handle in moderation. And, then there's you."

"Well, I'm no shrink, right?"

"Right."

"But, maybe killing our father, and turning you into a vampire, and all the trauma associated with that is what made me become a vampire who feeds on people, and then rips their heads off. But, now that I don't have all those memories, and all that guilt, maybe the Ripper-thing won't be such a problem." The youngest of the two shrugged simply after stating his point.