How to Be a Lady

I

A lady is kind.

One would think that by the time she pushed her brother off the balcony, her parents would have already known that there was something wrong with her.

They didn't, obviously, not even with the string of kicked dogs and stepped-on cats attached to her name, or the complaints from other parents about how she'd done this thing or that to their precious children.

And always just complaints, too. Nary a finger lifted in aid of so-called 'loved ones.'

That makes their fates deserved, Molly Henson thinks as she watches Max's bones crack on the pavement, his lips forming a wide 'o' in a silent scream.

Who'd ever told them that girls were harmless, anyway?

II

A lady is smart.

Teachers always ask her the hardest questions. Never help her with the damn things, either, just smile and say 'You'll figure it out' before moving on to help some idiot who's probably in the wrong grade.

It's rather annoying, especially since she'd rather just be finished with her work and stare out the window.

So, really, no  one should have been surprised when she tried to shove her newest, 'special' worksheet down her teacher's throat.

People were, of course, her parents in particular. They scolded her on being 'unladylike' and begged the school not to press charges.

So stupid.

But, lo and behold, a hefty bribe later, Molly's seated back in school with her pink dress and glittery bow. But this time, she manages to get the paper into the teachers mouth and clocks a student to her left - George, she thinks, just so her actions can't be ignored.

And they're not. Her father slaps her and her mother while Max watches from his wheelchair.

And then he sends her back.

III

A lady is loving.

She gets pregnant at sixteen. Finds out at six weeks and picks up a brochure for abortion.

Her parents snatch it out of her hand the second they spot it.

"You can't just kill you baby." They say. "You'll just have to deal with the consequences of your actions."

Right.

Because it's their choice.  

So Molly smiles. A sweet, pretty little smile as she gets up with a curtsy. Skips off to the kitchen, humming a little tune. Pops open the top drawer and hovers a hand daintily over an assortment of knives. Gently picks out a pink one with flowers and even throws in a little giggle.

Spinning on her heel, she holds the knife flat over her stomach and looks lovingly towards her parents standing worriedly in the doorway.

And then she stabs herself.

IV

A lady never raises her hand.

Molly is eighteen and living with one kidney when she meets Clara Adams.

A stout girl with blue hair and green eyes who wears too much jewellery and laughs from her belly.