1. Promotion

Background

(First Name) (Last Name). She joined the 104th Cadet Corp in honor of her father who she had watched get bitten in half by a titan during the disaster at Shiganshina. She lived in Trost with her mother and had been visiting her father for the weekend when it happened. She scored well enough with her battle and strategy skills to place just above that angry loud mouth, Eren Yeager in the top ten, putting her fifth and that bratty kid sixth. During the attack on Trost, she watched her mother get crushed under a large section of their house when a titan destroyed it. She had been planning to join the Military Police and get her mother and herself safely behind Wall Sina but after that moment something inside her just snapped. She finally understood Eren Yeager's hatred better than she ever had before. The first time with her father had been something she was able to overlook since she hadn't been all that close with him and he'd been sick and on his deathbed when she'd gone to visit him anyway so it was more of an act of mercy. But her mother had been fully healthy and had so much life and fight still left in her when she died. And what were the odds that the same type of attack would happen only 5 years apart? With nothing left to lose and a shattered heart full of hatred, she resolved to join the Scouting Legion.

Reader POV

I looked up from my tasteless bowl of stew when Jean sat down beside me, a little too close but I ignored that fact for now. "What do you want, Kirschtein?" I asked him and he only gave me a cocky smirk. "You." I rolled my eyes and looked back down at my food, continuing to eat the tasteless soup. "Go chase after Mikasa why don't you?" I said boredly and Jean frowned at the rejection for a moment before slipping an arm around my shoulders. I paused and set my spoon back in my bowl. "Jean, if you don't remove that arm from my shoulders in the next three seconds I will punch you in the dick." My sudden change in tone must have scared him because he nodded and quickly let go of me, getting up from my table to scurry off to his friends at a different table.

I sighed and finished the rest of my stew in silence then got up to wash my dish myself before leaving the mess hall. I didn't get to make it out though, a certain short Corporal blocking my exit. I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone else tonight and without thinking, my voice acted on its own. "Out of the way, shorty." The words held no emotion, no anger or anything, it was just a simple and plain command that came out of my mouth and a sudden hush fell over the mess hall, all attention now on me and the short male in front of me. Connie seemed to think it was hilarious since I was only two inches taller than the Corporal so I was short too.

I moved to push my way past the man silently glowering at me for my comment but he grabbed my wrist in a crushing grip. I winced and looked back at him only to lose my balance as he yanked my arm down and a second later my face met the floor. That hurt. I moved to get up but the Corporal kicked my side to knock me down again and pressed his foot on my stomach. I felt the bile rise in the back of my throat, my dinner threatening to come back up but I willed myself not to puke as I grabbed his foot and pulled it, throwing him off balance. He caught himself but I managed to gain some control and lift up my right leg to dig my heel roughly into his abdomen as I yanked on his foot again, this time knocking him to the ground.

I could see the surprise flash quickly in his eyes as he fell backward and I flung myself up from the floor, getting on top of the Corporal before he could get up so I could pin him down. I was about to punch him but was suddenly lifted off the Corporal by the back of my ODM harness and tossed over a tall shoulder. I wiggled and kicked, struggling to get down. "Commander! Let me go!" I pounded my fists on his back as he lifted Levi off the floor and told him to go to his office and cool off, completely unphased by my wriggling about on his shoulder. The Corporal was beyond pissed but listened to Erwin nonetheless. The Commander ignored my complaints and attempts to free myself from his grip and left the mess hall, walking with me over his shoulder all the way to his office where he finally set me down roughly on a chair by his desk.

I glared at him as he walked around the desk and sat down in his chair. "Will you listen to what I have to say?" He asked after a moment of tense silence between us. I'd never been in his office before and it was quite intimidating, to be honest, I was losing my pissed attitude and it showed as my glare disappeared to give him a confused and slightly nervous look. "Good. I'm going to overlook that stunt with Levi in the mess hall as long as you swear it won't happen again. You've got the making of a squad leader, you just need to work on your attitude problems. Regardless, I'd like you to bring me a list of cadets you wish to have on your squad and you will be moving to a new office tomorrow morning."

He took my stunned silence as an agreement to this and dismissed me when it appeared I had calmed down fully. I thanked him quietly as I left the office and walked slowly back to the dorm that I shared with Mikasa. She was a quiet person and kept to herself when nobody got on her nerves so I didn't mind having her as a roommate. I flopped down on my bed after taking off my harness and boots and sighed heavily, staring up at the ceiling as I thought about what just happened in the Commander's office. I was going to be a Squad Leader. And now I needed to think of who I wanted on my squad that wasn't already assigned to Squad Levi...