Long Awaited Freedom

It's 7 A.M. I wake up to another boring day of summer. "Maybe I'll actually do something for once." As I thought to myself. "I'll see what I can do after I'm dressed and out of the shower." After my shower I put on some dark jeans, and my oversized grey t-shirt.

Roland, was a decently tall boy, he was about five foot, nine inches. He had dark, short hair, light blue eyes.  He had large biceps, and calfs. They really didn't suit his extended stomach. He was a tad bit over weight, despite his constant working-out.

"I can tell this is going to be another boring, and depressing summer. I think I'll see if Sam will want to hangout. She's usually up for it." I thought, as I was eating my morning cereal. As I left my mother called out to me, as usual... "Roland, honey, were're you going?" My mother likes to know where I'm going, why, and when I'll be back. She's over-protective like that, but I answered, even though it wasn't like I would die, "I'm going to go see if Sam wants to do something. I'm bored, and need to get out a bit more. If you need me, I've got my phone." "Oh, okay. Just call me if you go anywhere far." Replied Mom.

As I was walking down the street to Sam's house I started to think about my ex-girlfriend, Julie. "I need to get over Julie. We broke up on good terms, and we still talk, and all. But, I still love her, and it's hard not being with her. She was just so perfect, and I was just so flawed, but she still loved me. I guess she just couldn't take any more of the pain I was causing. Maybe if I strighten up my act, and learn how to be a person, we can try again. But, I'll worry about it later, I can't be all depressed while trying to have fun with Sam."

I approached Sam's house and knocked twice on their medium sized wooden door. It's a very nice pine wood door. Not to my surprise her mother opened the door. "Hey, Roland. You looking for Sam?" She asked with a smile on her face. "Yeah, I am. I figure I need to get out more, and actually do stuff. I was hoping Sam would..." But, I'm cut off by Sam as she walks down the stairs in her shorts, and tank top. With her long dark hair. She's a pretty girl, even though she's not my type. She shouted, "I'd love to do something!" "Wanna go to the park?" I calmly asked her. She said "Yes." I then asked her mother if it would be alright if I took her to the park. She replyed with a simple "You know I don't. Just, don't get arrested." Sam and I both said, "We won't!" In unison.

Shortly after we arrived at the park Sam asked, "Roland, what's on your mind?" Of course I didn't want her to know that I was thinking about my ex, but I didn't want to lie either. So, I just asked, "Why do you ask?" "Because, you've been sitting on the swing the whole time, and haven't said anything since we got here. All you've done is look at the ground. You also have this look on your face as if you're confused or something." Oh, wonderful, I thought I was hiding it... Guess not. Since I don't want to lie, or tell the truth, I think I'll just tell her part of it. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm just bored, and really don't have much to do, it's making me a bit depressed. There's nothing to do, aside from hangout with you. I wish I had money to actually be able to do things, you know?" I hope she doesn't think I don't like hanging-out with her...  "Yeah, I do know what you mean. It would be so much more fun if we had places we could go, and better things to do. The park gets boring, quick." She replied. Oh, good. She didn't think that. I was worried for a minute. "Yeah, hey, we should be getting back. It's like 7, and I've only had cereal to eat today." Which I managed to say with a slight smile. "Okay, let's get going then."

We both got up, and started to walk back to her house. Once there, I dropped her off, gave her a hug. As I huged her she wispered in my ear, "Hey, if you want to hang-out tomorrow, I'm free. But, under one condition. You'll find out what that is tomrrow." We stopped hugging, our eyes met, and she winked at me. I started to walk home. I thought to myself  along the way, "I wonder what she means by that. Either way, I know Sam, and I think she just wants to do something girly. Whatever, at least I've done more than just sit around, and do nothing. That's a start."

I arrived home a good 10 minutes later. Mom had just finished cooking right before I got home. As I walked in she asked how my day went. I just responded with a, "It was fun. We went down to the park and swang, talked and what not." I walked in to the kitchen with my mom, starving, and sat down, then ate dinner. Mom had made me favorite which was: chicken, peas, mashed potatoes, and green beans. After dinner, I went to my room, watched some TV, and played a few video games with some of my friends online. Before I knew it, it was 2 A.M. I decided I should get some rest, and went to bed, still wondering what Sam meant. Eh, I'll see how things go. Well, I think that was a good start to a tough summer. I've got a lot ahead of me.