Rescue - Part 1

"I am sorry there is not much I can do to help you"

Tony slightly turned his head to observe Nebula, her name being one of the few things he got to know.

He had been focused on the shattered helmet in front of him, still unsure if he actually wanted that message to reach someone on Earth or not. He couldn't figure out if it would be better for Pepper just to know he probably was dead - after no word or sign for weeks after the snap - or to have confirmation on it. He could not be sure which could be less hurtful.

He could not even be sure if she was alive. There was only hope she was not one of the victims of the snap.

In fact, he could not be sure if any of his friends made it or not.

He had no idea if the snap turned the fellow avengers into dust.

There was no strength left in him, though.

Only memories occurred, in that moment.

All the arguments, fights, pain and yet also peace and joyful moments seemed meaningless after all.

In the end, he failed.

Everything that he'd been foreseeing for years, and tried so bad to prepare for, resulted in defeat, nevertheless.

"That wizard seemed so certain that letting you live was the only way, he gave up the stone for that" Nebula claimed for his attention again "Yet you are going to die in that spot, in a few hours."

"Oh, that's an overwhelming thing to say" He whispered

"Even if the lack of oxygen doesn't kill you, that wound still looks ugly"

"You are being uncharacteristically hyperverbal" Tony spoke, remembering Romanoff, for some reason "Got any better ideas?"

"I am sorry, I don't" She glanced at the space, outside "Everything seems so different out there..."

Tony stared at her, as she continued "I always aimed so bad for things... always fought for what I wanted and... it all seems so meaningless now."

The avenger hesitated, even if he shared the same sentiment. He let her continue "I was always on the wrong side and when I was finally up to do everything I could to stop him... I failed"

"Feels like you are the one dying, right now" Tony said

"I would gladly exchange positions with you..." she spoke, still glancing at the infinite space "There's nothing left worth fighting for"

Tony closed his eyes, his lungs starting to get uncomfortable with lesser oxygen in the room "There is only hope right..." he whispered, more to himself.

Nebula stared at him, once again "It's getting harder for you to breathe"

"Stop stating facts please?" Tony grunted "I'm not sure I prefer mute Nebula or whining Nebula.... but definitely not fact stating Nebula" he breathed out

"You're a weird human" she spoke "And I was not whining... I was stating facts"

"Definitely mute Nebula, then" Tony stared at her.

He remembered Yinsen, then. He often thought of him and how much he actually tried to follow his advice ever since Afghanistan.

"There is always something worth fighting for as long as you live and can make a difference..." he spoke "If there's guilt or regret then, at least, it means there's self-consciousness. It only makes you human... or a living blue being or whatever, I'm sorry I can't be exactly sure what you are. Though my point is... it doesn't make you bad... it makes you alright... So... there must be something you can hold on to"