Good Will Hunting

The silent evening is interrupted by the sound of a car engine struggling to fire. A subtle burnt scent prevails, distinct from the surrounding floral environment. A rusty red car is standing at the side of the highway, a faint trace of black smoke rising towards the sky. Surrounding the car are acres of wheat fields, glimmering of gold as the suns lays its final touch on earth. The highway is abandoned, not another car in sight. Will Hunting exits the front seat of the stranded car, slamming the door in frustration. A flock of birds sitting in a nearby tree reacts to the sudden noise, disappearing into the distance. Will swears quietly to himself as he lights a cigarette and sinks down at the side of the road, a vague expression of hopelessness flimmering over his face.

"Feel the city breakin' and everybody shakin' And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive" the car radio crackles. A voice, whose owner obviously have had far too many cigarettes in his life, tags along and breaks up as it approaches the high notes. Thrumming his thumb against the steering wheel in rhythm to the music, Joe Briggler is driving in complete darkness down the highway in South Nebraska. He isn't a handsome guy, slightly overweight with swollen eyes and hair styled in a clever way to hide he is approaching baldness. His truck reeks of an odour only comparable to what a teenage boys room might smell like when mom's been away for a week. Joe's ambitious attempts at keeping up with the high notes in the hit song currently blasting from the old school car radio suddenly stops as he spots something in his headlights. He chuckles slightly and the brakes breaks of the old truck screech as he stops at the side of the road to pick up the lone hitchhiker.

Confused, Will wakes up in an unknown environment. A slow country song is playing and from the sunlight blinding him Will figures it should be around noon. He rubs his eyes just to realize that a thin layer of grease has emerged on the side of his face he was sleeping on. Disgusted, he shoots up. He is located in the front seat of a car, surrounded by a large amount of empty fast food containers and candy wrappers. The thick smell hits him like a wall, making him frown in disgust. "You finally woke up huh!" announces a raspy voice coming from the driver's seat. "Joe Briggler, no need to thank me for picking you up! I'm no stranger to wandering around these roads late at night either!" Will lays an eye on the hefty man driving the truck. He doesn't look like he's done much walking in his life. "So, tell me where you're heading boy!" Joe continues. Will lets out a sigh and smiles. "I gotta see about a girl"

"So yeah.. I had to come after her." Will finishes his sentence in an indifferent tone, taking the last drag of his cigarette before finishing it on the table. The two men are sitting outside a worn down gas station, Joe indulging in a massive hot dog drenched in ketchup and mayo. "So... you're telling me..." Joe lets out, with a mouth full of half-chewed food. "You said no to a career of a lifetime for some fuckin' arm candy" he muffles without taking his eyes of the food. Will shrugs. "She's worth it." Joe rolls his eyes and turns to Will. "Not to be pessimistic son, but I've seen this before. Love aint nothin' but a scam. Thought I was in love once. Gave her everything she could've ever asked for." The plumsy, worn down man stares into the distance. "Cheated on me with my best friend. That's how women are, let me tell ya. Every single one of 'em." Will shakes his head. "She's different." Joe snickers slightly, shaking his head while wiping his mouth with the sleeves of his shirt. "Sure."

This is it. He's come so far, yet he's more uncertain than when he started this journey. Joe's words had dragged him out of the hormone-induced trance young love can cause. Fiddling with the silver necklace he bought for Skyler, Will wanders up and down the street. It's Saturday, around midnight. California definitely isn't like what Hollywood productions tell you. Will leans against the hood of a car parked on the street and lights a cigarette. Tapping with his hand on the car in a distressed manner, Will stares at the building in front of him. He checks the smudged ink on his hand one more time, knowing that it'll still say the same thing. Skyler's address. Why hasn't he told her he's coming? Why didn't he just call? What if she had found someone else already? The anxious thoughts are running through his mind, pounding in his head. What if Sean was wrong?

His veins are going to explode any second now, his heart beating faster than it ever has. Will is anxiously standing outside a college dorm door, revaluing whether or not he should knock. He's come so far. He must want this, it's meant to be. But is it really? Is it a silly idea? Has she moved on already? He steps back from the door once again. A group of skimpily dressed and obviously drunk college girls rush past him, two of them supporting an almost unconscious young woman with smudged makeup. Will sighs. He knows what he has to do. With the beat of the almost unbearable music from the party next door drumming his ears Will takes two steps forward and knocks.

"Will?"

Two kids in love. Carelessly falling for each other, together against the world. Even though they've only dated for a few weeks they know that they're right for each other. Neglecting opportunities and friends to care for each other, how romantic. Nothing could ever ruin this.