A Heart's Wish

The view was absolutely breathtaking. I had never seen anything more beautiful than what I witnessed at that very moment. Whiteness blurred my vision slightly, but I could still see that everything was exactly how I had dreamed it would be. The smell of fresh gardenias filled my nose as a gentle breeze blew through the area, brushing the few loose strands of my hair around my face. Tears filled my eyes as the scent brought back the memories that led up to that day. Looking down at my dress, I could see that every stitch matched the dress I had worn every time I had the dream. I started to doubt the reality of it all, thinking I must be deep in slumber once more, until a gentle squeeze on my arm pulled my attention upwards. At that moment, I knew I wasn't dreaming. The reality hit me so hard as I stared deep into the pure eyes gazing back at me.

"You are so beautiful. Don't doubt it for a second," he told me, gently squeezing my arm again. A smile formed on my face as the tears, once trapped on the edges of my eyelashes, overflowed down my cheeks, happiness making my heart swell. I quickly brushed them away, taking in the scene around me.

All around us sat our closest friends and family, all smiling or crying tears of joy. Even those in my family that I had believed would never show, were sitting in the few closest rows to where we stood. As my gaze turned to them, their eyes filled with tears and smiles filled the room entirely.

I returned my gaze to the patient, waiting brown eyes of the man next to me. He was smiling again. He never seemed to stop when that day had started to get closer. His hands grasped mine, pulling me slightly closer to him, gently squeezing them; to keep either his or mine from shaking, I could not tell. Tears threatened to fall once more, but as he leaned in to kiss me, every previous thought vanished. It was just us; no one else mattered in that moment. Time seemed to stop as my heart raced faster than it ever had when he had kissed me before. Chills ran up and down my spine as his arms wrapped around me, pressing his body against mine. I could feel the beating of his heart, almost keeping pace with my own. It ended as quickly as it began as he pulled away, placing his forehead on mine.

"I love you," he whispered. "Forever and always."

Words failed me as the crowd around us erupted into applause. Laughter overcame me as the scene became fully real. It was not a dream this time. Not a scene out of a story or movie. For the first time in my life, a scene I had only imagined and dreamed about so many times had finally come true. I was married to the one man I would spend the rest of eternity with. His hand found mine as we walked back out of the room, this time as husband and wife, best friends forever.

---

The double doors opened and closed several times before we stepped up to them. Walking arm in arm, the warmth of his body kept my nerves in check, the feelings I had for him filled my heart with pure joy. Our time had come. We were expected just beyond the doorway. Just as he took a step forward to lead us I, I pulled him back, turning his body to face mine. Confusion changed to peace as I ran my fingertips over his cheek; his eyes seemed to smile.

"What?" He asked, still slightly confused as to why I had stopped him mid-stride. A blush warmed my face as I smiled. He laughed slightly and pulled me into a hug.

I whispered softly to him as he held me close, "I can't believe we finally made it."

We embraced for a while longer before his hands found their way to my face. He placed his forehead on mine and looked straight into my eyes. My own eyes fluttered shut as his lips soon found mine, our bodies pressing together, hearts beating in time with one another. My thoughts were elsewhere when the doors opened and the cheers echoed around our embrace. I could feel his lips rise slightly into a smile through our kiss as he held me tighter to him. I let out a small squeal of excitement as he picked me up and spun me around in a circle, my feet flying off the ground. I could hear laughter and clapping around me, but I could only see him. Everything I had ever wanted and he was mine.