• 3 •

I met someone new last night and we kicked it
And I'm going back there tonight
And you know what's on my mind, this time
Going back there tonight
And you know what's on my mind

Renée Pov

It’s not that I forgot we had mutual friends but it’s the fact that I didn’t want accept that fact. I wanted to believe that after what happened all my friends, our friends, would drop him off like a sack of potatoes and be done with him.

That wasn’t the case, not at all.

I avoided on going to outings because I knew he was going to be there and for some reason I knew there wasn’t a moment where they weren’t going to invite him. It makes me question if my friends were really my friends.

That thought alone made me not only avoid the boy that shattered my heart into pieces but also the people I thought were my friends for so long. They treated him no differently, at times it felt like they gave him more support about the situation than me. It was like they were comforting him in my time of sadness and that appalled me.

This drove me to talk to people that I never cared to talk to before, not because I felt as if I was better than them but because I had the people I needed at the time.

“lost in thought?” A hand waved In front of my face snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Yea, just got a lot on my mind.” I replied with a soft smile. The hand belonged to Jerome, a boy in my math class who I shared few words with over the years but he was nice. At the moment he seemed to be the closest of a friend I could get.

“Nothin’ wrong with that.” We were in the halls walking out of math, I guess he was walking me to my next class.

“What time you want to meet tonight?” he questioned suddenly.

“What?” my face had scrunched up.

“To help you with math….” He said slowly. My eyes widened and I slapped my forehead in embarrassment.

“I’m sorry, I have so much on my mind!” I apologized profusely. “ Is 4 good or no?”

“Yea it’s fine. Can I get your number to call or text you?” he already had his phone in my direction unlocked and ready for me to put my number in it.

I had put my number in and we made it to my next class with time to spare and he had to go so he could make it to his class.

“Who was that?” A voice said from behind me which made me roll my eyes. He just couldn’t leave me alone.

I spun around and came face to face with Leon, “and why is that any of your business?” I didn’t wait for an answer and bee lined for the door but he blocked my path.

“So you already out here like what we had was simple? So it’s like that huh?” he had a sinister smirk on his face as he interrogated me. He’s treating me like I did what he did.

“You mean doing what you did while you still had a girlfriend?” I questioned and tried to move around him to get into class.

“ So you admit to seeing another guy? I knew it, my boys-“ I interrupted him. He sounded so stupid. He avoided my question like I never even asked it.

“And? And if I am? How is that affecting you? Me and you, You and I are both single. We both can do whatever the hell we want, not that it ever stopped you.” I waved my finger between him and I as I spoke.

“Do you want details? You want the hot tea hmm?” I was so sick of him. He never gave me room to breathe. I just want to be done.

“Me and homeboy going out tonight. He’s nice and sweet, he cares about me from what I can tell.” Lies. I didn’t owe this man the truth, I didn’t owe him anything.

His face was one of shock. We seem to end up like this more than I would like.

“Shoot if things go right…. Well you know how it goes.” I was gassing this whole situation just to mess his head up and I knew it was working. The only thing me and Jerome will be doing is math. To even think about getting into another relationship when I just got out of one, doesn’t even make sense.  It doesn’t even feel like I got out of the relationship with him hounding me every chance he gets.