The Snowstorm, Part 1: Shancai

Safe. It was the first thing Shancai thought of as she felt her senses awaken. Everything felt quiet and still around her; the storm had finally passed. And then she felt it, the strong and steady beat of his heart beating against her flesh. She opened her eyes a peek and saw Si's face inches away from hers. She became aware of his arms wrapped tightly around her, pulling her close against his bare, smooth chest. He had saved her, again. It was making her fall for him even harder. She had known he was The One the moment Lei's kiss on the beach felt completely wrong, and she felt her heart break into pieces at the sight of Si's pain. A pain she caused, and it seemed like that was all she gave him. Despite that, he gave her love, security, safety-- he even helped her family avoid a huge debt.

But what could she bring into a relationship with him? She was nowhere as rich, as smart, or as capable as he was. The only thing she could do was love him with all her heart. But would that be enough? Would she ever be enough for him? She peeked at him again and her heart skipped a beat when she saw how peaceful he looked in his sleep, his hair falling across his forehead. She couldn't help but whisper, "I love you," and a shadow of a smile crossed his lips as he pulled her closer and tucked her head under his chin. She closed her eyes and allowed herself to snuggle closer to him, letting the steady beat of his heart lull her back to sleep. Someday, her love would overpower her fear. Someday, she would be brave enough to show him just how much she loved him. All she needed was a little more time.