3. Hero of Akrat

Saturday, April 29th, 1989

The sun scorched the roofs of the houses running along the roads of Fehahra. Tak Bryson walked on the cobbles—the sun's reflection on the windows of the stone brick houses. He glanced at the wooden door frames. I pray to darkrai that the sun's rays do not ignite them. That runt, what in darkai's name was he doing? Pierre would never have broken the law. As for the Spitz boy, it was probably his idea in the first place. Why do I bother? All he has done since the Elkran got here is cause trouble. Tak pushed open the office door and cautiously approached the receptionist. As his short black hair cooled a little from the sun he stared at her with dim grey eyes.

"Bryson. Here for the two runts which caused all the commotion last night," Tak said. He pulled on the ring on his left hand, twisting and playing with it, refusing to look at his reflection in the glass.

Tomilson stepped out into the corridor. "Hello, Mr. B'yson, sorry, Bryson. I take it you are here for your two sons? Hames was still asleep around ten minutes ago. Kitiku has been up all night being sick. Sutton is with him now. Come." He beckoned and buried his hands into his pockets. "Pardon me for saying, but you look very much like your son – Kitiku – not James."

Tak nodded. "Shame he is such a weak boy." He looked at the wanted poster on the noticeboard of Hanson Rei. The man's twisted grin left Tak wanting to crack his knuckles. "Any luck hunting Rei or any Spitz?"

"Not a single one. The reward money is good, but the execution I am not so sure about. I guess that is why they are sending a new captain to Fehahra. After all, that is where Hanson Rei and Carla Spitz lived. I guess you must have known them. This new captain is supposedly one of the best battlers to ever exist in Elktan. Elite Lord Piscar chose him, himself."

Tak shrugged. Thank you, Tomilson. Now I know I need to be on my guard. This new captain must want to follow Elite Lord Piscar's orders to the letter and be a real stickler for the laws. If he finds out about me... damn it, if he has sent Captain of the Elkran guard, Lord Jackson... He leaned back against the wall and glanced into the cells. "I don't have the money to pay the fine, so..."

"We will write it off, don't worry. These kids, trouble they may be, but malicious? No. I don't think so." Sutton smiled, his hand on Kitiku's back. You don't cope well with stress, do you, Kitiku? He stood up, his tie hanging undone around his neck. His shirt was untucked, the stench of vomit rising from it. "You should get them home."

A reluctant sigh escaped Tak's breath. "I don't have the time. I am here to bail them, and then I must go to work." His eyes drifted to James, who looked up at him with a sleepy gaze. "You two, go home. I will deal with you later. You can't keep doing shit like this, James and Kitiku, you are such a disappointment. When the new captain comes... Come, James, Kitiku."

James's eyes dimmed and he stepped outside onto the cobbles. New captain, huh? Another bothersome Elkran to deal with. He will stick more laws on us like the dictating waste of space every single Elkran does. They are evil heretics. They will force their religion on us and their language. Only Madison can save us, but that wicked man, Lord Piscar, will try and kill him too. Piscar has already exterminated every charizard, charmeleon and charmander in Coltar. James looked down at his hands as he walked along the scorching streets. He closed his fists. They want to kill me for what he did for what she did.

The warm Colran heat dragged on, beaming down on them hotter and hotter for every minute they walked. Seeing the milkwoman had walked down the street, left James's throat feeling scratchy. He noticed Tak holding Kitiku by his shirt collar and knocking on the door.