The New Guy

”Everything seems to be in order, Mr. Andrews. I’ll call the boy down.”
The assistant pushed a button on the wall and spoke into the microphone.
”Frank, pack your things. Mr. Andrews is here.”
Minutes later a fit teenage scruffy looking kid strolled down the hallway with a backpack. He had his hood pulled over his head. He turned to the lady at the desk. She gasped when she saw his face. His eye was bruised.
”Have you been fighting again?!” The lady gasped and turned to Mr. Clive Andrews. “I-I swear it’s not normal for him to act like this!”
”Doesn’t matter miss. Come here boy.”
The shaggy boy looked up and stared at Clive with a stern face. He slowly strutted up to him. Clive wiped his nose and stared down at the young kid.
“Let’s go.”
Frank followed Clive out the door of the orphanage. The rain stained Frank’s hoodie and water dripped from his hair. He opened the side door to Clive’s rusty truck and sat in the passengers seat. His nose filled with the smell of mildew and foul liquor. The rain hit the metal roof of the truck. Clive sat in the drivers ripped leather seat and started the truck. He began driving down a road surrounded by thick forest, the trucks dim headlights could barley see through the downpour. Frank peeked out of his hoodie to get another good look at his new authority figure. Clive Andrews was a foul man, known for working at the lumber yard, but spent his money on drinks and cigarettes. Frank didn’t enjoy the man, not because he smelled bad, but because how he treated people, but at this point Frank would to anything to get out of that damn orphanage. He’d been in and out of several homes and where he went trouble followed, but he didn’t care. He just wanted to have freedom. Frank watched as Clive pulled his fingers through his grey greasy hair. He stared back down at Frank. He quickly his his face in his hoodie again.
”What the hell you lookin at boy?!”
Frank didn’t answer. He kept quiet and looked out the rain covered window. He heard the wipers squeak as they did little to wipe the rain away.
”Look kid. I know you don’t like me all that much, but if you don’t bother me, I won’t bother you. Got that?”
”Yeah, whatever.” Frank grumbled.
He spent seven quiet, long hours in the truck. Finally they passed a town sigh that read ‘Welcome to Ormond! Population: 6,000’. Frank became groggy from his bad sleeptime in the stale truck. They drove into a small bungalow filled with rickety apartment rooms. Clive parked the truck in front of one of the buildings. A few people were out on the balconies of some of their apartments and conregated in front of their doors. Clive told Frank to get out. He followed Clive up the stairs on the side of the building. They walked across the balcony passing several doors before reaching one that was labled 206. Clive put a key in the door. Frank looked at the window beside the door. It had metal bars across it. The door creaked open. Clive stepped inside. Frank followed and coughed into his arm. The main room was small. It had a rickety old couch against the wall. The side table next to it had a few empty beer bottles and a filled ash tray. A box tv sat across from the couch. Frank’s nose once again filled with mildew. The main room was connected to a kitchenette. A short hallway led to a bathroom and two bedrooms. Clive threw his jacket on a nail in the wall and pointed to the couch.
”You can sleep there until I buy you a bed.”
Frank stared at the torn up couch. It had one pillow sitting on it. He set his backpack down beside the couch and took off his leather jacket. He leaned back, his head hitting the pillow. He wanted nothing more than to sleep and so he did. He woke to the sound of the front door slamming, but no one came in. He knew Clive had left. Through the window he could see the sky was pitch black. Rain was still coming down hard. He made his sore body sit up on the couch. This place, this Ormond was so unfamiliar to him. He stepped outside and watched the quiet slums of his new house in motion. Everything seemed normal. People walking in and driving out of the neiborhood. It was quiet. Everybody seemed to keep to themselves. Frank stepped back inside, not caring how wet the stained carpet became. He hear the sudden ringing of a phone from the kitchen. He stepped into the kitchen and grabbed the phone off the wall. He held it to his ear.
”Hello?”
”It’s Clive. Theres a flip phone in the far left drawer of the kitchen. Lose it or break it and you’ll pay for it boy.” Clive hung up. The phone beeped as Frank returned it to the wall. He turned and opened the far keft drawer in the kitchen. There were a few pens batteries and old lighters. He rummage around until he found a small black flip phone. Frank opened it to the contacts list. There was one number labeled Clive. Frank chuckled to himself and started pressing buttons on the phone and changed the name on Clive’s number to ‘Dickhead’. Frank laughed at what he’d done until he got a text from ‘Dickhead’. 
‘𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎𝚜 𝚊 𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚝 𝙸 𝚗𝚎𝚎𝚍 𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚍𝚐𝚎. 𝙶𝚘 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚞𝚙 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚛𝚘𝚊𝚍.’
Frank sighed and looked up at the list on the fridge. He grabbed the paper from the fridge and shoved it into the pocket of his hoodie. Frank opened the refrigerator door to hear the clattering of beer bottles in the door. Besides that there was a carton of milk, half a carton of eggs, and a few pill bottles. Frank knew if he was to get anything for himself he would need to make some money. He put his leather jacket on and began his walk to the store. He finally arrived seeing the bright colorful nameplate of the store shine up the parking lot. He swung the door open and stepped into the lit up shop. Frank looked over to see a short girl behind the register scrolling through her phone. She had long pink and brown hair. Without looking at Frank she blurted something out.
”We close at midnight.” She said in a groggy voice.
Frank opened his phone. The time was 11:30. He pulled out the crumpled list and started taking things out of the fridges and off shelves. The store was quiet. There wasn’t any music or anything. He heard the generators running from behind the fridges, but nothing else. Once he grabbed everything he went up to the register and set everything on top of the counter. The girl sat up and used the scanning gun to mark the groceries.
”You must be new in town. I’ve never seen you here before.”
Frank looked sternly at the girl.
”I live with Clive Andrews.” He said.
The girl stared at Frank in shock.
”You live with Andrews?! That guy is a bastard. Bet that’s how you got that bruise.”
Frank changed the subject.
”Where’s the best place to get a job around here?” He asked.
”This place pays the most, but you could get a job at the bar down the road.”
Frank thought that’s where Clive would spend the most of his time, he rather not see him at all.
”Where do I apply?”
The girl smiled and pulled out a paper from under the counter. Frank paid for the groceries and the girl handed him the bag.
”Fill this out and bring it back in tomorrow. The boss will call you back. Have a good night.”
”What was your name?” Frank asked.
”Sadie. And you newby?”
”Frank.”
”I’ll see you later, Frank.”
”Yeah, sure.”
Frank walked out of the store and carelessly went back to the apartment. He put the groceries in the fridge and fell asleep. In the morning the sun barley bled through the window and shined into Frank’s face. He woke up and went to the bathroom. There were ashes in the bottom of the sink bowl. He looked up to see himself in the cracked mirror. Despite everything, it was just him. He brushed his teeth and attempted to fix his hair. It was too long and shaggy to keep in one place. Frank lazily left it down and got ready to hand his application. During his walk he noticed an old sign across the street that read ‘Mount Ormond Luxury Lodge’. The sign was deteriorating and the letters were faded, but Frank could clearly see the arrow under the sign pointing towards the south side oth the mountain. He shook his head from curiousity and continued his walk into town.