[1] Time For A Change

------💛------

Going through the front door of my new apartment and seeing all the boxes scattered around really brings in a surreal and happy feeling. It's finally happening, I'm on my own.  The small smile that forms on my face is hard to fight back and so is having the urge to throw my hands in the air to celebrate this achievement but I contain myself from doing so. 

My eyes scan around the room still content that I haven't sensed anything. I might have just hit the jackpot

_________

Halfway through unpacking, I noticed how dark it was starting to get. Long day, time for food. As I stood up the effects of staying in that sitting position took a toll as it resulted in one of my feet being asleep "Goddamnit" I muttered out while going into the kitchen. 

Grabbing everything that was needed and taking a double before I finally leave the apartment. Wow, work and food are probably going to be my only reasons to go out.

Just taking one step out and my senses are starting to go up. Walking down the sidewalk I already see a few of Them.  They float around like life is still going on. Not judging or anything, god no; they really have no choice but to stay.

Ignoring each and everyone that floats past me. I avert my eyes away and either focus on the path in front of me or my phone. When passing a park my pace slows down as I hear a child cry. Taking a glance over I see a girl trying to gain the attention of the kids on the playground. 

They obviously couldn't see nor hear her.

I can see as in what people call, ghosts. I preferably refer to them as Them. I've always had this 'Gift' ever since I was young. The first time that this happened was when I was about six years old and it was with my next-door neighbor who had passed away from an overdose. I would only greet them from time to time as they would greet my parents and myself when we'd arrive home and they were at their porch. He was always on that porch sitting on that rocking chair of his. My parents told me he had moved far away and wouldn't come back. Until one day I saw him on that rocking chair.

To clarify what I have isn't a gift because with that you can at least give back but as for this; it's always going to be a part of me. This absolutely mortified me as a child as I came to a realization of what I could see. I informed my parents when it became too much to handle; having the hope that it was inherited by one of my relatives, having the hope that I wasn't the only one. . .

No one believed me, and my parents threw me into therapy once word got out. 

Moving away from my hometown has been something I've been wanting to do for ages. Although I was able to fool many into thinking it was just a 'phase' so I could get out of therapy quickly. Most if not all of Them have heard about me. 

My shoulders slump in defeat at the sight of the little girl sobbing while watching the children play. Adjusting my purse I take a deep breath. My brows knit together as a frown becomes apparent on my face but I continue on my path, going past the playground. 

_________

My appetite quickly fades away with the fact my thoughts were consumed with the little girl at the park. Not being able to surpass the guilt that I was feeling. I sigh but soon jolt up as a shiver runs down my spine and goosebumps start to form all around. 

Taking in a deep yet composed breath my eyes are fixed on none other than my food. Already being able to pinpoint Them at the corner of my eyes. I start to move my food around with my utensil seeming bored as they float where the TV is going to be placed.

"Holy fuck a person!" A loud voice fills the room as he boosts with enthusiasm which surprises me. I continue eating what's left of my food avoiding them. They then float in front of me facing upside down. "Can't believe someone actually moved into this shit of a place." 

"You seem young so why downgrade so low? Oh, wait, HA! College?" He questioned "Trust me I know a broke graduate when I see one. Just like you, I was really desperate and well moved in here."

"But you're in luck! A lot of things have been improved; It's still not the best but definitely something. Anyways, thanks for living here it was starting to get boring around here." I almost choke on my food and quickly get my drink.

"It was starting to get boring around here."  My mind was spiraling with questions. Is he staying here? Did he die here?! Why didn't the real estate guy tell me someone died here? He moves, no longer being upside down but still close. 

He stares at me as I take a sip of my drink "Aight guessing game, maybe in your early 20s? What do you think carpet stain?" He questioned looking down and as I was positive he wouldn't notice quickly followed his gaze noticing the stain on the carpet. Oh great, he's talking to a fucking carpet stain...

Pulling out my phone to seem busy he continues on "Wow, this is actually fucking sad. Little thing to know when you are dead long enough you start talking to things" He lets out a sigh "I mean with all honesty though, what else is there to do?" He laughs to himself "I'm talking to you as if you could hear me" 

If only you knew

It starts to become too much so I get up to throw my trash away "What the hell? Are you going to throw it away?" He follows me "There's still a little left! Do you not know how lucky you are to eat?" I throw it away and start heading to the hallway "I really freaking envy you." He states just staring as I go.

Then without a second thought, he follows right next to me "I don't know your name yet so I'm gonna call you..." My face might show no emotion but inside I'm freaking the fuck out. "Thanos daughter numero tres" 

He really- 

Knowing very well I was wearing a purple top it took all my will not to give him a look. Then in a blink of an eye, he's no longer by my side as I enter and my bedroom door. This was supposed to be a fresh start, it seems he either hangs around here or actually died in this house. 

Fucking fantastic...

------💛------

I hope you guys enjoyed this part! It's honestly very different than my other fics but I love different so

I'm going back to this story and doing major editing and now becoming more proud of it. For those who are re-reading I'm sorry :( I haven't been the best author to you guys. I know I've been slacking with updates but hey, I'm improving this story so I have more motivation to update it so ayyeee :D If you're a new reader, welcome! I'm Author Eve and I hope you join us on this little journey. 

Anyways, see you Quack Heads on the next part!💛🦆💛