Introduction- Just go to Sleep

Soft rays of dim, yellow moonlight filtered through the cracks of the plastic blinds and spilled across the hardwood floors of the small bedroom. A small stuffed bear lie forgotten on the rug beside the bed adorned with a colorful quilt that curled lovingly around a small child.

The echos of loud voices interrupted the peace of the night. The child stirred and slowly opened her bright hazel eyes in confusion and crawled into a sitting position, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She became still and listened into the silence for any other activity, wondering if it was all a strange dream.

A booming thump roared through the quiet , and the small girl jumped in fright. Now, only one aggravated voice rose and settled back into the quiet before a door slammed and caused the adolescent to tense all of her tiny muscles in fear and anticipation. 

Soon enough, curiosity overtook the girl, and she carefully slipped out of the warm quilt, immediately feeling a chill consume her. Shivering slightly, she crossed the hard floor with small, silent steps, reaching for the doorknob and turning it slowly. The door glided open with a creak and the child was quickly rushed at by a dark figure in the hall.

Alarmed, the girl sucked in a breath of air and stumbled backward, quickly covering her head with frail arms as a form of protection as she fell to the ground. She barely even noticed the dull pain of falling as she looked with wide eyes toward the door. All panic was erased as the figure came into light and the girl recognized the face of her mother. 

Crouching down next the the girl, the woman scooped up the child into her own shaking arms and whispered soothing words to the frightened girl. They came to rest on the quilt covered bed and the girl was laid gently back into the comfort of the sheets. The mother bent down and grabbed the teddy bear, handing it to the child who quickly grabbed it and hugged it tightly, allowing a smile to escape her somber face.

Turning her attention back to her mother, the girl's small smile fell. Gently, the adolescent reached out her tiny hand and traced a new bruise forming across her mother's face and shrunk back into the safety of the quilt.

The mother smoothed back the stray brunette hairs falling into her daughter's face and felt a swell of emotion overcome her as she looked at the face of her baby. From her freckled nose and cheekbones to her plump lips. She absorbed the small girl's features and smiled softly. She was glad her child hardly looked like her, she didn't ever want her baby to become her. 

Stroking her daughter's face, the mother spoke in a calming voice to her daughter and reassured her, "It's just a nightmare baby, go back to sleep. It'll all be better when you wake up," she lied to the innocent child.

 "Just go to sleep."

AN: New story, kinda having writer's block with the old one, but this one I've had the idea of for a long time and plenty of ideas for. Please vote and comment! I can't even explain how encouraging it is to see that people are being active and enjoying the story! Thank you and good bye!