Spain & Prussia [one shot]

I want the first thing I see in the morning

and the first thing I see at night to always be you

Even if you’re not next to me, you’ll be in my dreams

No matter what, I want to fall asleep to your heartbeat.

That’s all I can wish for.

----

Antonio got a call in the morning as he walked through the living room and he answered it with a warm greeting. On the other end, his doctor said hello. The Spaniard went in to see the doctor after feeling very sick on and off for the past week. He had gone in without Gil knowing so his lover wouldn’t worry and the phone call was about the results of a couple tests they had done on Antonio. Listening with keen ears, he heard the news.

“Antonio, I’m very sorry to say this but you don’t have long to live. You have a rare disease and it’s spread too much for us to do anything.”

The smile faded. Bringing his hand to his face, he cupped his hand over his mouth as he gasped, speechless. Tears flooded down his face like tiny streams full of sadness. 

“H-how long?”

He pushed out the question from his shaking lips and when met by silence, he restated the question, this time in a demanding voice.

“Three days.”

He heard the doctor saying something of an apology but he couldn’t hear what he said, his world had stopped around him. His mind was cloudy and the words on the other end were white noise. Mumbling a farewell and something else, he hung up and collapsed onto the couch. Leaning his head back, he stared at the ceiling with the tears still flowing.

‘Three day left to live.’

It was like bullet to him, shattering everything inside of him before tearing through him. He barely heard the door opening before his boyfriend called out to him in a happy voice.

“Antonio? I’m home.”

Quickly wiping away the tears and lightly slapping his face to shake away the sadness on his face, he gave a smile and turned to Gilbert.

“Welcome home!”

He made his way over to the Prussian and tugged him into a kiss. When they broke away, Antonio decided in his last three days, he just wanted to be with Gil. But should he tell him? A worried expression appeared on the Spaniard’s face but it faded when his lover caressed his face. Gilbert was looking at him with worry as he stroked his thumb on Antonio’s cheek.

“Is something wrong, Toni?”

Oh no, he didn’t want Gil to worry. It would be heartbreaking to him and Antonio didn’t want to see him like that. He wouldn’t tell him just yet...

The Spaniard made a complete turn around as his lips blossomed into a bright grin and he shook his head.

“No, nothing’s wrong.”

A look of relief passed over Gilbert’s face and lowering his hand from Antonio’s face, he raised his other hand which held a plastic bag.

“I brought you something.”

“Gil, you didn’t have to.”

Red eyes and a playful smirk looked up at Antonio.

“But I did because I wanted to.”

Antonio shook his head with a smile and watched as Gilbert dug into the bag and pulled out a teal box before handing it to him. The Spaniard held the box in his hand and blinking, he looked questioning at Gil who just beamed with pride. Opening the lid, he peered into the brightly colored box and was met with an array of sweets. His green eyes widened and looking back up to his lover, he gave a warm smile.