Part One

Jax!" Parker croaks, rolling on her side.
She tucks a strand of honey-blonde hair behind her ear, her face fresh with sleep.
I sit back on the bed, annoyed by the sound of its creak.
"What's up?" I whisper, running my hand across the side of her face.
How could someone look so beautiful after just waking up?
"Don't leave," she sighs, putting her hand in mine. Naturally, I begin to explain why I have to go, but something else overcomes me. Whether it's the desire to let Parker have what she wants, or the bed simply calling me, I allow her to pull me back in bed. I breathe the scent of vanilla and spice, and envelope myself in the comforting embrace of warm blankets. Parker's arm drapes across my torso as I drift off to sleep.
********************************************I rub the sleep from my eyes and pull on a cotton tee. As I stumble downstairs, the smell of coffee and bacon wafts to my nose, drifting from the kitchen.
Parker, dressed in a thin white tank-top and plaid pajama pants, hovers over the stove.
"Morning," I say, my voice scratchy from yelling last night.
She spins around suddenly, her shoulder-length hair swishing behind her.
"I didn't see you there," she says, a wide smile forming across her lips. "I made breakfast."
"Your the best," I whisper, planting a kiss on her forehead.
She winks and turns back to the sizzling bacon on the stove.
Glancing at my phone, I realize how late I slept. Arlo will probably be calling soon, wondering why I'm missing my shift.
"Are you gonna go to work?" Parker asks, pouring extra cream into her coffee.
"Naw," I say, "GameStop will be fine without me. I'll call in sick."
"That's my Jax," she grins, enclosing me in a hug. Standing on her tippy-toes to reach my height, she tells me my morning hair looks "extra-cute".
"You always look extra-cute," I reply, lifting her off her feet. She laughs hysterically as I swing her petite self over my shoulder, spinning her in a circle. She grins wildly and creates an adorable double chin as I plop her on the grey sofa.
An enormous cackle escapes her mouth as I mercilessly tickle her sides.
I pull away as her phone chimes.
She reaches for it on the stained-wood coffee table, gasping for air.

Parker
"It's my mom," I say, still out of breath from Jax's tickle outburst.
"Answer it. Wait, don't. Actually, yes. Wait..." he contemplates, not much of a help.
I pick up the phone, and brace for the sound of my mom's angry voice on the other line.
"P-Parker?" she cries, her tired voice unexpectedly filled with worry.
"Yeah, mom," I answer softly, "this is Parker."
Jax nods and scratches his messy dark hair as he slips out of the room.
"Parker! Where are you? Are you okay?" she stutters loudly, her words still a bit slurred. I pull the phone a little further from my ear.
"Yes mom, everything's okay. I'm at Jax's."
"Jax, who's Jax? Why are you there?" she accuses.
"Mom," I say, keeping my voice down, "Jax is my boyfriend. You met him, remember?"
She makes a small coughing noise, and I can just visualize her lighting her next cigarette.
"I came over here last night when you had too much to drink, mom," I say even quieter, trying to filter the anger out of my voice. "After I put you to bed. I'm going to stay here for some of the weekend, okay?"
"Oh, okay Parker. Um, be good," she decides, sounding a bit shaky.
I hear a click and she's gone.