Chapter 1

Ring! Ring! Ring! That was the school bell ringing at Peregrine's school. She was already in her civics class, getting ready for the lesson on the legislative branch. "Hey, Peregrine! Can you show me the answer for number 11 on lesson 5?" Shal whispered. Shal was a very good friend of Peregrine. "Yeah, sure," Peregrine took out her paper on lesson 5 and showed her the answer. "Thanks!" Shal went to put the answer in its rightful place. "Why, hello everyone," Mr. Kris says with a smile as he walks into the classroom. The classroom had around 20 students in the class, and they were all facing forward toward the whiteboard at the front of the classroom. Peregrine wondered why he seemed unusually happy today. Usually, Mr. Kris would always be complaining about how terrible Monday's were. She would soon find out. Mr. Kris started writing something on his whiteboard. From what Peregrine could see, it looked like a Venn diagram. Peregrine leaned to her right to whisper to Shal. "Looks like the lesson is starting," Shal made a pouting face and Peregrine giggled out loud, but luckily Mr. Kris didn't hear it (or did he?). Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door. Mr. Kris stopped writing and put his dry erase marker down, and went to go open the door. He stopped with his hand on the handle. "Class, this is a transfer student from another country, and they will be joining our class today," So this was why Mr. Kris seemed so happy. I wonder who the new kid is, Peregrine thought to herself. As Mr. Kris opened the door, and allowed the new kid to walk in, Peregrine got a good look at them. He had brown hair that shone in the room, and blue eyes that had the feel of the sea itself. Peregrine could sense a mysterious aura surrounding the boy. Mr. Kris leaned in to whisper to the boy. "Come on, tell them your name," He said this loud enough the class to hear. The entire room was silenced, waiting for him to say something. The boy looked up at everyone, and then stared at Peregrine. "My name is Eris," He said confidently. Mr. Kris was satisfied with what he said, so he pointed to the seat behind Peregrine and told him to sit there. Shal looked over at Peregrine, while Peregrine made an annoyed face to show that she didn't want him behind her. As Eris walked over to his desk, he stared at Peregrine with a menacing look. Peregrine didn't know what to do to that so she just gave him a menacing look of her own. She could see the first smile starting to form on his face since he got here, but it was gone as soon as it started. "Alright, back to the lesson class," Mr. Kris said excitedly. As he droned on about the legislative branch and how it's important, Peregrine started whispering to Shal. "This guy behind me is a little... weird," Shal looked at her with a look of jealousy on her face. "Did you see how he looked at you? Peregrine! I never thought someone so hot would like you," Peregrine shook her head fast, almost too fast. "What?! So this is what goes on in your mind then..." She turned to actually pay attention to Mr. Kris, because she didn't want to deal with Shal's stupid ideas. Shal kept trying to get Peregrine's attention, but she just kept looking forward until the lunch bell rang. "Finally! I felt like we'd never get to eat lunch," Peregrine told Shal as they walked out of the classroom. As they walked to lunch, Peregrine saw that Eris was walking alone. She decided that she would sit next to him if he had no one to sit next to. When they got into the cafeteria, Peregrine pinpointed Eris, while Shal was still rambling about how Eris was super hot, and started walking towards the table that he was sitting at so Shal and herself were across from him.