Prologue

Catherine's POV

It was 10 a.m. and I'm sitting at my desk, drawing something. I couldn't quite understand what it is. Anyways I didn't care. I am remembering what happened almost 8 years ago.

It was my fifth birthday, when it all happened.

When I lost my mother. I went to my room for five minutes and when I came back to the library, where we were reading and talking, I saw my mother barely breathing, with a knife in her chest and a incredibly stupid smile on her face. I run to her and tried to help but she just told me:

"Don't." She wasn't smiling anymore. She was staring at me with a sad look on her face.

"Darling I know that you might don't understand this now but if I don't die they will come after you, sweetie." She said to me.

"But..." I said trying to reason with her but she just told me:
"Sometimes you have to do the wrong thing for the right reason"
With a last breath she said:
"Goodbye Catherine"

"Goodbye mom" I finally gave up of trying to help her and I let her go.

Forever.

Then I saw a match.

The last thing I remember after that was that a firefighter was telling me that my mother had died in that fire.
After two months living with my godmother, Kit Snicket, I went to live with my biological father, a man that called himself Count Olaf.

I didn't like him much then. He was sarcastic, coldhearted and pretty mean to me. The only thing that I knew we were similar were our eyes. We both had two grey/blue eyes. Besides that, I was more like my mother (we both had black hair and the same pale skin).

But now I kinda like him. I guess that besides our looks we both had the same personality, I just took a very long time getting it.
We were both sarcastic, coldhearted and, well I won't lie, mean.

When I did something wrong he punishes me by staring at me. Just staring.

Luckily, his definition of wrong is very vague and I can easily get rid of almost everything.

Now we get along very well and I think of him as a father. A weird one, sure, but a father.

Sometimes I have a feeling that he knows something that I don't. That he is suspicious of me. And then I have the feeling that he feels guilty, but I don't know what could it be.

Weird, this thoughts...

It's like I'm living it all over again...

My mother's death, my arrival to my father's house, what I felt about it and the fire...

Suddenly I look at my draw and what I saw shocked me.
I didn't realise that I was drawing while thinking about this things.

I drawed a fire consummating an house with two grey/blue eyes watching the catastrophe happening.

I quickly hid the draw when I heard my father's footsteps in the hallway.
He opened the door and said:

"I'm going to adopt three children to live here with us. Two girls and one boy."

"Why?" I asked.

"Do you know who the Baudelaires are, right?" he questioned me, not quite answering my question.
I just nodded.

"Good, because they died in a mysterious fire and left their children and their enormous fortune to be in someone's care." he said.

I felt my eyes starting to shine and my mouth turning into a malicious smile.

"Cool" I said. I always liked schemes and things like that. "I suppose that we are the caretakers, right?" I asked, even though, I already knew the answer.

"Yes. When they arrive I want you to go downstairs and say something to them, alright?" he said
I realise that he is more like demanding than really asking, so I nod and he seemed satisfied with the answer.

"I'll be in the tower which, as you know, is forbidden for you to go!"he said very "calmly".

"Sure." I say.
After he lefted I said quietly to myself "Of course I'm going to go to your stupid tower! I thought you were smart, Olaf."

Shortly afterwards I heard the noise of a car and peaked through the window.

There were three children and a man who looked like a banker. They were talking to my neighbor Justice Strauss.
I really liked her because she always let me use her library.

"I suppose that they're the Baudelaires" I thought out loud.
I notice that they are coming towards our house and ringing the doorbell.

I didn't heard any noise after that, until they ring it again and then I slowly got up and got out of my room.

In that moment my life changed forever.

The moment where I met the Baudelaires.

Hi! I hope you enjoyed this story. I'll publish something soon. Bye for now!