Prologue (REWRITTEN)

Sebastian watches people.

One might think, "Well, that's not creepy at all," in a tone thick with sarcasm and a hint of disgust but it is what he does. It's all he's ever known and it's all that he's ever done.

There was a time when he tried to figure out why him, what happened, how he became. . . whatever he is. He tried for a long time but ultimately, the only thing I can remember is his name. And the glorious title gifted to him: Watcher. He, personally, would prefer the term 'Traveler," unfortunately, he didn't make the rules and he certainly didn't come up with the silly classification system that they use. It just seemed to him that if one can go anywhere on the planet with just a thought, then they should be called what they are.

However, logic makes no sense here. In this universe, they are called by what they do.

He doesn't eat.

He doesn't sleep.

He just watches.

And he likes watching people most of all.

Human beings are strange, wild, and untameable. One could force them to be a cog in the machine, doing what they need to in order to survive—going through the daily grind of a monotonous life. Their robotic movements through time, day in and day out, sheep moving amongst sheep, but the soul cannot be broken. Deep, underneath all that skin, bone, and blood is a light that can't be extinguished. Some are blindingly bright, others are dim and waning, but that light is always there. It never leaves. They laugh, they cry, they scream, they smile, they love. They endure. A whirlwind of different emotions in a world that he can never fully be a part of. The human spirit is resilient and beautiful and that's why he watches.

Or at least he did, until he saw her.