Chapter 7 - Sebastian

I chuckled as I watched the fat man try to get to his feet.

I kept looking between him and Avery.

She was giggling, trying to hide her amusement by covering her mouth with her hand. Her tears were gone and she looked happy now. I smiled. I always wanted her to be happy--It had become my number one goal and I always achieved my goals.

Fat man was an asshole. You dont treat people like that, it doesnt matter how miserable your existence is. Everyone has feelings and its inconsiderate, selfish pricks like that guy that cause people to doubt themselves, resulting in self hate. I had seen it many times in my travels but I had never intervened, until now.

I slid that chair into Fat Guy.

No one should get away with treating anyone like that, better yet my Avery. Yeah... I said it.

My Avery.

The rest of her day went smoothly and she seemed happy--different than the first time I saw her. And on the subway ride home, she actually had a conversation with the old lady holding her purse.

"Hi! I'm Avery," she smiled.

The lady smiled back, kindly acknowledging the attempt for a friendly conversation, "Veda," she said, "and who's the handsome guy beside you?"

My mouth dropped.

Oh, no... no, no, no...

She could see me? How could she see me? Panic set in very quickly as I wasnt prepared for this.

"I'm sorry?" Avery asked, obviously confused. She looked around her but only her and Veda were currently riding the subway. Well... and me, but she didnt know that.

"The young man right there!" Veda exclaimed, looking directly at me. I shook my head, bringing my finger to my mouth, hoping she would understand that Avery wasnt aware of my prescence. Veda's eyes narrowed at me and she frowned disapprovingly.

Avery's eyes were wide now, her mouth slightly open. She clenched her jaws and swallowed. Hard. She understood that her life as of late was a bit strange but she couldnt pin point the problem. The drawers. The cat. The chair. The dream...

Veda waved her hand in dismissal, "My mistake, dear. My old brain plays tricks on me sometimes." I mouthed thank you. She smirked, still irritated at the situation but gave me a small nod. Avery chuckled nervously, but breathed a sigh of relief while placing a hand on her chest, "You had me thinking I had some sort of imaginary stalker!"

"I apologize. But even if there was, would it really be so bad?" Veda pressed. I frowned. I did not like where this conversation was headed, it needed to end quickly...

"Someone following me around that I didnt see? Yeah, that would be creepy," Avery smiled.

"Its all in how you look at it. Is the glass half empty or half full? Think of it more as a guardian angel and less as an obsessive ghost." She eyed me, trying to hint at the certainty of the situation she knew Avery was unaware of.

And Avery? Well... she was quiet the rest of the way home.

***

She ate dinner in front of the tv, watching reruns of Friends. She giggled here and there and I couldnt help but smile. Was there anything about this woman that wasnt beautiful?

Milo still had not warmed up to my presence. He would stare at me and meow, or growl--sometimes hiss. She would raise her eyebrows in surprise and follow his gaze to me. She would stare for a few seconds, confused and then return to her show, as her eyes saw nothing. But the doubt had been placed in her mind thanks to Veda. Veda and a couple of random incidents.