Save Me

Shelooked at his shoes, covered in dirt he'd tracked in behind him. She kept herface down so he couldn't see her roll her eyes. "You didn't have to come. I'mfine." He made a derp face. "You didn't seem fine over text message. Zero emoji'swere sent. That's just weird for you." He hugged her. "It seemed like youneeded a friend." She closed her eyes and hugged him back. "He died in hissleep last night." He steps back, his hands still holding her upright. "Yourdad?" she nods. "The doctors and mom thought he was getting better, and I wastrying not to get my hopes up, but I couldn't help but wish..." she trailed off,eyes fixed on a point, staring into space. "He lived three years longer thanthe doctors thought he would, though. At least you had more time with him." Theboy says, trying to cheer her up a bit. She smiles sadly. "At least there'sthat." She closes her eyes again. "Maybe I just need to get away from it all awhile.Take a vacation." "I understand that. Maybe you could go someplace warmer thanhere." He says, gesturing outside to the snow filled ground, slick with ice. Shecracks a genuine grin. "That would be amazing." She suddenly gets an idea. "Maybewe could take a road trip." His face breaks into a smile. "That's the best idea you've had in a while,J.C." She starts walking back to her room to start packing. "You might want togo back and pack, Jinyoung. I wasn't joking. I was being serious." She heardhim groan from to living room. "Just when I thought we were joking. Now I haveto tell my roommate that I'll be gone for the week." "Who said it was only aweek?" she shouted, pulling her suitcase out from under the bed and throwing iton top. More grumbling is heard from the living room and then the front screendoor bangs shut, followed by the door slamming. "This is gonna be good." She whispersto herself.