Rookie Lady

I remember that day when she came into the Police Department for the first time. All eyes were resting on her, not only the male ones. She was wearing a dark blue dress and silver heels, a golden medallion shimmering on her neck and her hair a curly brown bunch of elegance. Her lips were bright red, and her eyes were smoky. The dress was tight, so we all could admire her perfect proportions. It almost felt like the office had turned into a fashion show for a moment.

Then Patrick Howell, the Sherriff, stepped in. He wrapped an arm around the lady's shoulder and announced with a grin: "This is Madame Eldur. She will work here as a Detective from today on."

Of course, the people started to talk. No woman had ever had such a prominent position before. But she just smiled and stepped back from Howell's unpleasant touch.

"It's nice to meet you.", she said, still smiling, her hands folded in her lap. "I hope we'll get along very well."

Oh, you clever girl, I thought by myself. She twisted them around her little finger, playing the innocent one. But I saw through her little game. This woman was everything but innocent.

"Williams!"

Howell called out my name. It took me by surprise because I didn't even do something inappropriate, unlike some of my colleagues.

"Yes, sir?"

"Come here." He waved me over and I walked through the room. It made me feel a little uncomfortable to get that close to her. But since I always get uncomfortable around beautiful women, it wasn't that much of a surprise.

"This is Aiden Williams.", Howell introduced me to Madame Eldur and then smiled at her again, using the chance to touch her hand. "He will be your partner."

"Partner?" I maybe sounded a bit startled, but this was a real surprise for me. "But what about Frank?"

Frank Bush had been my partner for the past two years and we weren't a bad team. I didn't know where Howell could have got the intention to split us up.

"Bush will be teamed up with the other newbie that arrives tomorrow." The discussion was over, and I took a last look at my former partner. He seemed excited, but he sadly had to find out the next day that the other newbie was just a clumsy young man, not a hot lady.

I just nodded at this moment and tried not to rest my gaze on her for too long. I was a married man and I loved my wife.

"I've already showed her around. Just help her to settle in and show her your office.", Howell padded my shoulder for a second. "And don't do something inappropriate."

I really wanted to tell him that his unwanted touch was inappropriate, but I held back the comment.

"Come with me.", I said instead and gave Madame Eldur a little smile. I avoided eye contact, though.

She followed me into my office that I had shared with Frank until now.

"That will be your desk." I pointed at Frank's. "Frank just needs to get his stuff."

"Yours has a better view."

It was true. My desk was positioned to the window and one could see the skyline and the river which was flowing through the city.

"I know." She probably wanted me to switch and give it to her, but that wouldn't work on me, no matter how hard she'd try the puppy eyes.

"Do you like the city?"