Too Far| Chapter 1

The gods knew what they were going to do was wrong.

---

"Order!" Zeus thundered, and everybody quieted down. "Now. That's better. I have called this meeting to discuss with you all on the matter of the lack of demigods."

Poseidon rolled his eyes, "The reason why we have a lack of demigods, brother, is we just went through two wars. There are bound to be deaths."

Zeus shot Poseidon a glare for interrupting him, but Poseidon merely smirked challengingly at him as if saying "hmm?". Zeus muttered something under his breath about brothers, and then continued. "As I was saying before Poseidon ever so kindly interrupted me-" Poseidon shot a smug look at Zeus "- there is a lack of demigods. Not to mention that we need to be prepared for future wars."

Aphrodite spoke up, "Well, what do you suggest we do about it? It's not like we can intervene in our children's lives-" almost everyone shot Zeus a sour glare at that, they hated the Ancient Laws he put in place- "and most of them won't fight willingly for us anymore anyway. They hate us."

A few sent Hermes pitying looks, which made Hermes glower. He hated their pity. He didn't need it. It wasn't all of his fault that Luke turned... it wasn't... his.. fault..

Hermes sighed and said, "And monster activity has decreased for the time being, so why would we need to worry about the number of demigods out there? It's not like we're going to stop making them." A few were surprised at the amount of bitterness in Hermes's voice.

Having your son resent you and turn to the enemy could do that to one, they guessed.

Zeus nodded at Hermes and Aphrodite's words. "True, but we need to think about future wars. We.. didn't acknowledge the Titan and Giant wars like we should've-"

Poseidon coughed. "You mean you didn't acknowledge the Titan and Giant wars like you should've?"

Zeus glared at Poseidon. "Silence, brother. What I am trying to say is that we need more demigods, and more powerful demigods at that. Demigods that are willing to risk their lives for us." Zeus finished.

A sudden uproar of rage and butthurt followed the conclusion of his speech. "What do you mean, more powerful demigods!? Were the deaths of our children in the last two wars not good enough for you!? Dozens of our children died to save your arrogant ass! They did risk our lives for us, and they paid the price!" Hephaestus exploded in rage. Everyone knew that he was still mourning over Charles Beckendorf. Hephaestus was lucky that Leo Valdez didn't die, too. That would've been two of his children lost to fiery explosions.

"Damn right!" Apollo yelled angrily. "Were the sacrifices our children made not good enough for you!? Was all the pain and suffering void!? Remember, Father, that if you had just not let your insufferable ego get in the way, most of the pain they went through in the Giant War could have been avoided!"

Aphrodite was screeching about hitting somebody (namely Zeus) with her stilettos, Hermes had his caduceus aimed at Zeus threatening to go laser mode (George and Martha were hissing at Zeus, obviously not very happy either), Poseidon had a tight grip on his trident and he was glowering, Athena was yelling for order, Dionysus had a grip on his thyrsus and he was watching the fiasco go down with dark amusement in his violet eyes, and Ares was sharpening his spear looking mildly interested- probably because there was a high chance of a fight going down.

"QUIET!" Athena screamed loudly, causing all of them to look at her. Her stormy grey eyes flashing angrily in the torch light. Athena glared at them, "All of you, sit down. You're all several millennia old, and yet you're bickering like children."