one

+

+

How I ended up in Kumogakure? I don't think I'll ever remember. But if I somehow hit my head one day and it came to me, it would be welcomed with open arms. I wasn't totally opposed to taking a shot at clunking my head just to see if it would knock some sense into me—but then again, I wasn't sure how many brain cells I was willing to lose attempting that.

What I didn't need help remembering though, was the shitty hand of cards life oh so graciously dealt me.

I lived my life in Kumogakure from the moment I was an annoying baby, crying and shitting 24 hours of the day. Raised in the heart of the Rocky Mountain terrain, my glorious upbringing was monitored by my stand-in father, Kenji Akaashi.

The reason I say stand in is because the guy really isn't my father. He says I was dropped on his doorstep from Kami himself, but I'm not sure if I'm holy enough to be considered a gift from Kami. If anything, Kami was probably sick of me and decided to pawn me off to some poor sucker. And that sucker was Kenji Akaashi.

I may call Kenji Akaashi a sucker, but really the guy is anything but that. Everything that came out of his mouth was always dripping with sarcasm, and not a thought-free of cynicism ran through his head. People say that my personality is a carbon copy of his, but that only sends a steady stream of repulsion through me.

I mean, come on. He's a great shinobi and all, but his personality is rival to the shit stains on my diapers as a baby.

But even if his personality was awful, I still somehow found myself liking the guy. After all, he had been gracious enough to take me into his home and raise me as his own. He didn't know my name, random kids picked up in a forest usually not coming with a name tag. So he decided to take it upon himself and name me. The name wasn't too bad, I'll give him that. But it's not like I was saying he should professionally name babies either.

He named me Kohana; little flower.

It was a little dainty in my opinion. I always told him that it gave off the wrong impression. I was far from a dainty flower. But he would just chuckle, shake his head and say,

"Sorry, Kohana, but babies usually don't have the mental capacity to give opinions on names. Otherwise, I would have made sure to ask."

He thought he was a real wise guy responding like that. But I didn't give him the satisfaction of laughing at his stupid jokes. I just rolled my eyes and continued with whatever I was doing.

His jokes were probably the most irritating thing about him. It wasn't that they were bad jokes. It's that they were so humoring it took everything in me to not laugh. I didn't want him to know that he was funny, because if he did he would only get a big head about it. Then his jokes wouldn't be funny anymore. The worst thing was when people were too overconfident. No one liked a wise guy.