Prologue

I choked back a nervous laugh. I was I actually doing it. I was standing in front of the house. I took one step forward. I could still back out. No one would know.I took a deep breath. I walked forward and hurtled the fence. There was no moon tonight and I had been careful to skirt around all the street lights and to wear black clothes. I must admit, wearing black converses (I called them sneakers) did feel a little cliche. I was inside their yard now. I could still turn around. I sneaked over to the window. Sliding it carefully open. They hadn't even bothered to lock their windows, this would be easy.I gripped the window ledge using my upper body strength to pull myself up and over. I sat straddling the window as I pulled my backpack through too. It would be kind of awkward to get stuck in the window in the middle of robbing a house.I put my backpack back on, and then walked slowly over the creaking floor boards. It really didn't matter if I was too loud. The house owners had gone in a vacation in Europe. I crept into the kitchen, jumping out of my skin when the ice maker in the fridge right next to my started up. I frowned slightly. The owners had forgotten to turn off the ice maker that was weird. I continued forward through the kitchen and into the quaint living room.It was filled with old antiques but it wasn't cluttered. Huge Indian rugs covered the floor and silk throws were draped over the horsehair sofas. I looked around the old fashion living room. My gaze was jerked back to a walnut side table as they swept around the room. I walked excitedly towards it. On the walnut table was a delicate vase. It had a slender neck and was made out of wood and was glazed with something that looked like silver except a little too white to look realistic. Winding around it was gold wire forming roses and vines. I picked it cautiously. I frowned slightly. It was much heavier than wood. It must be a cheap metal covered with a glaze. I swung the backpack from my shoulders and onto the floor. I pulled out a soft rag and wrapped it carefully around the vase. I slipped it back in the black backpack and pulled it onto my shoulders. I swiftly retraced my steps out of the house, through the yard and over the fence. I walked at a brisk pace down the sidewalk. I had a heavy feeling in my stomach. A feeling of 'Yes! I did it!' I laughed out loud. I had done it! That was when the police light lit up brilliantly behind me.