Where it all began

She stood there for a moment admiring the scenery that lay before her; tall willowy trees that swayed with each turn of a mighty gust of wind with their leaves dancing merrily about.

Thick mossy like grass coated the floor of the area like a rug dappling in and out of the crevices and crannies formed by the roots of the old oaken trees.

Soft melodies of bird song filled the air serenading ones senses with delight and serenity.

And as she stood there she felt a sense of déjà vu; almost as if she had been here before.

She could almost imagine bathing in the cascading waters of the river that would snake its way through the forest and then throwing herself in the arms of her lover’s embrace.

Strong and sinewy brown arms that would wrap around her and hold her tight quickening the thump of each of her heart beats as she reached out with a hand to brush away at the thick strands of black hair that adorned his face and would occasionally fall into his eyes.

Neptune, my love have you seen to your brother’s wishes?” she had asked once right before he had been summoned away by his charges.

Left alone she continued to comb through the wet tendrils of her hair as the lingering rays of the setting sun slowly bled their way into the still atmosphere as she stood awaiting his return.

Lowering herself to the ground she chanced upon a rue flower stroking at its petals before succumbing to a deep slumber.

Dreams like this often plagued at her conscience but Amber for the life of her could never decipher any significance behind them.

Maybe she read too much and slept late.

Yep that was it, I’m an insomniac and this is the reason why I am so unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end of such absurd encounters,” she muttered to herself as she dragged a hairbrush through a head of full of unruly curls that had the tendency to spiral their way out of control if not tamed with a stiff bristled hairbrush and some hair mousse.

As she slowly reached for the tiny tub of mousse that lay across from her on the vanity, she felt the floorboards of her room rumble a bit.

“Whoa, what the heck was that?”

“Petey, did you feel that?”

She did’t even receive a response from her brother before feeling the same vibration yet again, it seemed stronger this time as she watched a bottle of water wobbling on the nightstand.

And just as suddenly as it had started the strange vibrations for lack of a better word had stopped.

"Peter," she screamed out once more but to no avail.
She flounced out the room checking her brother's bedroom in the process but it was empty, bed untouched, blinds left open just the way he liked it.

Nothing seemed to make any sense, her brother was missing.

"Maybe he'd gone out for a walk," she reasoned with herself and to take her mind off  of things she grabbed an apple and stepped out the kitchen door and out into the woods that stretched off as far as the eye could see.

As she ventured in deeper into the forest she could hear a river of sorts trickling somewhere nearby.

Following the sound and mainly because it was said that if one found a water source they wouldn't​ get lost so she kept on walking till she found it.

It wasn't just a river that lay before her but a waterfall as well that cascaded over huge and dark boulders almost as if they had been carefully placed there before falling right into a huge river hole that stretched out for quite a bit.

There right at the edge of the water she chanced upon a figure sitting in solitude.

His back was haunched and he was facing away from where she stood.

But he looked up almost as if he had been summoned and looked right into her face before smiling at her.

Amber let out a gasp and backed away at once before she tripped on something and fell headlong into the water.

"Help help please help."

But the current seemed too strong.

Amber tried as hard as she could but she still could not seem to stay afloat.

"This is it; and I didn't even get to say goodbye to Pete,"
she struggled frantically waving her arms about but
no one came​ to her rescue.

Right before she succumbed to darkness she felt someone holding onto her and lifting her out of the confines of her watery grave.

The next time she opened her eyes she found a pair of dark eyes peering in concern at her.

"Amphitrite my love, you foolish girl did you really think I would let anything happen to you."

Amber was at a loss for words but the only thing she could understand was that this complete stranger knew her and had just saved her life and addressed her as Amphitrite.

She was flabbergasted to say the least.

But before she could gather up enough courage to ask the stranger whose arms she still lay in his name, he leant over and kissed her tenderly on the lips and she lost consciousness again.

"By the sea!"

"Why does she keep having these fainting spells."

Amber heard quiet mumblings around her before she eventually opened her eyes and this is when everything came rushing back to her.

She was Amphitrite, Neptune's betrothed and she had been sent to live with mortal men till he returned to take her back to their rightful home.

"Neptune, I remember everything now."

"I never had reason to doubt you my love" was his reply as he held out a hand to help her onto to the majestic black chariot that had appeared out of nowhere to whisk them away forever to a different realm.

With the wind blowing in their wake, she bid her time with the mortals farewell.