The Meeting Behind Thorns

The party was walking through the remains of Spiritcrest. After the defeat of the Lord of Calamity, purity was returned to the land, and malevolence levels were lowered considerably. However, after a confrontation with a priest from Ladylake, the party was given the task of heading up to Spiritcrest to check on the caverns, as a few townsfolk had spoken of what might be a creature that could be born from leftover malevolence. As they were walking, Mikleo spoke up. "Okay so...does anyone actually know what were doing up here? Because I am not crazy to believe that the 'man of wind' has any idea where we are going..." he spoke. "Look, he knows his way around here, he is our best bet." Sorey, who was now a few years older, replied to his best friend. "Uhh, I have to agree with Meebo here, this doesn't look like the place we should be, I should know, Eizen lived in that cave once." Edna said, twirling her umbrella between her hands. Rose was simply playing around with her daggers as she walked along with the group, and Lailah was admiring the scenery, as per usual. "Look, it doesn't hurt to walk around for a whil-" Sorey was cut off by the sound of steps. "Shh." He commanded, as he crouched down a bit. "Something is here, I can sense it..." Zaveid finally spoke up. 

        A moment passed, and Zaveid held his hand to the wind, and closed his eyes in silence. The group stayed quiet, and once he opened his eyes again, he pointed towards a nearby hole in the side of the mountain. "There." he whispered. "But that isn't the cave we were told to look in, plus, its so small!" Sorey exclaimed. "Maybe it moves around a lot, but for now we must trust the wind Sorey." Lailah mused, following Zaveid as he walked towards the small opening. As the party approached the crevasse, a snapping sound was heard. Everyone stopped, eyes wide and senses heightened. "look." Edna whispered, holding up a small needle. The group examined the needle, before asking why this was worth stopping to glance at. "Because. ugh, you wouldn't understand it anyway, idiots. Lailah, light up a bit." Edna responded, waving her hand at said seraph. Lailah nods, and a floating piece of paper was lit ablaze. The light provided was little, but enough to see the evident danger around the group. Thorns, small and sharp, protruded from vines that spread out like leaves. "Woah, I didn't see that coming..." Rose gasped out. "Well, I guess its better than any hellion." Mikleo concluded. Sorey noticed a small oval-shaped crease between two of the thick-needle filled walls. "Look guys, that looks like an opening, and it look manmade." He remarked. "I got it." Zaveid said, casting out a lance of wind to further-open the gap. 

        The party began walking through the opening, going deeper and deeper into the cave. "Man, this place is huge, considering the tiny opening we used to get in here!" Sorey muttered. Mikleo nodded his head, and observed the walls and floors of their surroundings. "Sadly, I dont see any signs that this could be some ancient ruin we haven't been to yet...." He sighed. "We probably should keep moving until we can find the end, there's no way of knowing what creatures may lie in this darkened hole." Lailah said with a hushed tone. "But I'm hungry..."Edna whined. Zaveid opened his mouth to speak, but a crackling sound was heard. "Shh." he commanded. Silence engulfed the cave, as everyone stood still, holding their breath. "This way." Zaveid directed, walking deeper into dark tunnel. With a hesitant look, and then a shrug, the rest of the party followed. Zaveid had always been a joker, constantly making light of the situations, no matter how serious they may be. This wasn't like him, being so serious and quiet.  

    Another crack, followed with the sound of footsteps was heard. Zaveid closed his eyes, and everyone stayed still. The breeze around the party slowed, and then a sharp inhale from Zaveid snapped everyone out of their silence. "Behind us...." He said. Slowly, the group turned around, bracing themselves for anything that may take place seconds later. When they opened their eyes, they were greeted with ruby eyes, glinting like weapons, staring back at them. Everyone stayed quiet. The only sound that was heard was their breathing, and then Lailah broke the silence, speaking up with caution. "Who are you...?" She whispered. The figure said nothing, it only fixed its crimson gaze upon the Fire-Seraph. "Hey, are you the 'Malevolent-Creature' everyone in Ladylake has been talking about or nah?" Edna deadpanned, her expression rivaling that of the unknown being before them. "Everyone....don't move..." Zaveid warned. A moment passed. Then a minute. then five minutes. "GET DOWN!" He yelled, tackling Edna and Lailah to the ground, as Sorey, Rose, and Mikleo dropped to the floor as well. 

    "WHAT WAS THAT FOR YOU STUPID JE-" Edna was cut off by a large rope-like object flying past her ear. "What the?" Mikleo demanded, confusion crossing his usually stoic features. "Why....are you....here....?" The figure spoke. The group went silent. Sure, the figure looked short, but they didn't think a child would live alone in a dark cave. Lailah was the first to try and get back on the right path with the new creature. "We are here with the Shepherd. We are here to purify any hellions or demons out on the mountain, so you dont need to be afraid or nervous little-one." She softly spoke. Another rope was shot towards them, it tangled Lailah up and restricted all movement. Zaveid stood up, and silently brought out his Pendulums. "Okay, no more playing around..." He growled. The red eyes shifted, and orange met red. The two just stared at one another, until the figure spoke again. "You are a wind seraph." it spoke. Zaveid inhaled sharply, taken aback, but didn't let his stance waver. "And what does that mean to you huh?" he shot back. 

    The figure began walking forward, while the party stepped back in response. Once enough light was visible, they were able to get a good look at the figure. It was a Seraph, but its element was unknown from its appearance. It had a small and petite figure, slender and gentle looking. The face was what gave away its gender, the eyes looking far larger in the light, large lashes and pale lips showing the feminine side of the figure. Her hair was black, with a deep violet at the end. She wore a long purple robe, with a heavy looking golden plate that rested on her shoulders and back. Silky lavender-ribbons were wrapped around one of her arms and her dress. She had pale purple socks, with no shoes, and a golden ear-cuff that had rubies studded along the beads, with purple feathers at the ends. Her eyes had no pupils, and were a combination of deep crimson and pale red. Around her, there were thorn branches. Thorn branches everywhere, as if they followed her, which they did.

    "You don't seem like the everyday seraph..." Zaveid said lowly. A curt nod from the girl proved his point, and he asked the main question. "Then what, and who.....are you?" He questioned. The girl looked up at him, the thorns that followed her retreating, and bringing a more accepting atmosphere to the cave. "I am Illu Zarifrun. I am the guardian of Spiritcrest after the death of the dragon who lived here. I am the Seraph of Thorns." Illu stated. "Well, you look like you haven't had any food in the past week, and kids like you should be eating healthy, so come on kiddo. Want to get some grub?" Zaveid asked, his hand extended towards Illu. She nodded, and took his hand in her smaller one with a small smile as the party began to walk out of the cave.