ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ᵒⁿᵉ

There she was. Average looking. Ok-ish outfit. Greasy hair. I always wondered how a girl like her would get a guy like that. He was so out of her league. With his beautiful blonde hair and sparkly blue eyes... there has to be something wrong with him. Me on the other hand, as dumbfounded as I was, was still wondering. How could he choose her over a girl like me? How could he trade in my gorgeous brown curls for her greasy dye job? How could he look past my outgoing and confident personality? I just couldn't wrap the idea around my head so I just stood there. I watched as he wrapped his arms around her waist and squeezed tightly. She giggled as she playfully hit him, signaling him to stop because people (me) were looking at them.
He took the hint and kissed her goodbye as he head off to his class. Me and her met eyes. She smiled and waved. I smiled back, no wave.
I had known Ani since grade school. We always had this sort on playful competition. Everything she ever did, I'd always find a way to one-up her. When she became student of the month, I won valedictorian. When she first got her ears pierced, I dyed my hair. When she got the new phone I made sure I was first in line for its newest edition. Her life was almost a challenge for me. Every achievement she made was a milestone for me. I knew I was better. I sat in class pondering this, staring at the arms of the clock.

"Nelli!" A voice called my name.

I look up to see my not so happy Geometry teacher staring me dead in the face.

"I hope we're paying attention because this information will be on the test tomorrow." She said sternly.

I nodded and pretended to jot down notes. Luckily the bell went off shortly after and all the children were dismissed. I grabbed my bag and started out the door.
Everywhere I looked in the hall I saw them. Couples. They crowded the halls with their goodbye hugs and anything less than appropriate makeout sessions. I shoved my way through them till I reached the exit. Ani and her boy toy were outside holding hands. I put my head down and began to walk towards a nearby bus stop. I'd walk but her house but it's next door to mine.