Bitter

Anja stood outside the wooden doors as she was told, wavering, trying to grin and bare it this time. She had pressed her ears against the entrance twice before, but even the mere muffled sounds left her in tears. She held a hand to her heart for a moment, then looked down at frost covered floors. Never before had she felt like this. So helpless. So guilty. She thought of walking in many times. Saving him from another hour of merciless torture was her intention, but no doubt Auslag would treat her to several methods of torment as well if she dared to step in. Anja couldn't fight back if she tried; she was frail now, and the scriptures warned her never to strike a hand against the man she took vows with. A fragile woman of God.

Finally the doors creaked open, a battered and beaten child soaking in sweat appears. His hair is oily and out of place, there's a bit of dirt on his face and he's got open scars scattered all over his arms. He's breathing heavily. A hooded man in black follows behind him. "Ta ham," He whispers to her, pushing him violently out of his path. She can only nod in response as she clutches the child by the shoulder. Watching him disappear into the hallway, she prays one last time.

"Toki." She breathes and the end of her recital.

He looks up at her with trembling, tired blue eyes. His lips are bleeding.

"Jeg elsker deg."

He forces a smile and waits for her to strike him, like she always does.